Carbon or Steel Shorty

idcwby

I've been reading all the threads about everyone going to short barrels with cans to get OAL down. If you're going to do an 18-20" barrel with a can, would you do steel or carbon? Which one would be lighter?

Well, barrels of equal length and diameter the carbon would be lighter of course.I have had four carbon barrels. All have shot great I guess it would just come down to the budget on that particular build. This one I run a can on, there is no carbon 18" steel ,the other one that I run this can on is a carbon barrel.
DA5A8782-5F74-4B09-9862-91FA0A041E10.jpeg

It depends on the contour you want to run. The heavier contour you want, the more a carbon will shine. Carbon will almost always be lighter, with the exception of something like a pencil barrel. A medium-light contour and under would probably favor a steel barrel especially if money is a factor. Most likely you would not heavily benefit from a carbon barrel in a shorter length.

The difference in cost on a 18" steel vs carbon is too much to justify imo. Go with a 18" steel and go with like a 5 or 3b contour is my recommendation. It'll have a bit of meat to it but still be light. You gotta think. On a 18" carbon you're only getting like 12-14" of carbon. Not worth it unless you just have to have a carbon barrel for esthetics. They will look better with a can hanging off of them imo. I've got a bartlein carbon m24 and it's heavier than my 3b contour bartlein and they're both 24" by about 3 oz or so. It's a fat barrel. Quite a bit thicker than a proof sendero and quite a bit heavier also.

If you not worried about $$ difference, then go CF. You'll get a stiff barrel that will look better and be lighter than a similar profiled steel barrel. Of course this is just my preference. Some may think a heavily fluted steel barrel is the better way to go.
You won't get a stiffer barrel that's a misconception about CF, in reality a #3 steel barrel is stiffer than a sendero proof.
At 20" a #4 will be .730 at the muzzle and there won't be an Ounce or two difference between that or a proof

To run a can, you need at least a number 3 profile steel? If I went carbon, I was looking at Carbon 6 because you can have 1.5" of muzzle steel instead of the normal 1" that's on other barrels.

To explain myself better would a steel barrel with a contour to support a can be heavier than a carbon barrel? Not worried about price.
What do you mean support a can? I've got cans on pensile AR barrels and while they may have a greater initial POI shift there's not a discernable difference in accuracy (sub-MOA ARs).