Carbon or Steel Shorty

You won't get a stiffer barrel that's a misconception about CF, in reality a #3 steel barrel is stiffer than a sendero proof.
At 20" a #4 will be .730 at the muzzle and there won't be an Ounce or two difference between that or a proof
Where did you get that information?

Where did you get that information?
Look it up there's been several tests done where each barrel was set in a lathe and deflection measured with weight added to the muzzle. You can probably save the time searching and just call Bartlein or one of the others.
As for the weight comparisons, that's my personal experience with 4 different shortys at this point

To run a can, you need at least a number 3 profile steel? If I went carbon, I was looking at Carbon 6 because you can have 1.5" of muzzle steel instead of the normal 1" that's on other barrels.
All you need is the minimum shoulder diameter recommended by the suppressor manufacturer, .730 should cover everything.
There's no added benefit of a 1" or 1.5" muzzle unless you like how it looks

All you need is the minimum shoulder diameter recommended by the suppressor manufacturer, .730 should cover everything.
There's no added benefit of a 1" or 1.5" muzzle unless you like how it looks
Ok. I just remember my smith saying something about how he wished they would put more steel out there, it's been a couple years since I had that barrel threaded, so I don't remember what he was getting at now. As long as there is enough meat out there meet requirements, barrel profile doesn't really matter? Thanks

What do you mean support a can? I've got cans on pensile AR barrels and while they may have a greater initial POI shift there's not a discernable difference in accuracy (sub-MOA ARs).
7.62 Gunner explained it better and it makes sense to me now. I was always told to make sure you have enough barrel to support the can.

A 20" Bartlein #3 contour will be just over .725 at the muzzle and works well with a TBAC CB. Assuming you don't short shank it, if you do you might need to go to 19".

One of these days I'll have the gunsmith weigh a finished barrel before they install it....

Look it up there's been several tests done where each barrel was set in a lathe and deflection measured with weight added to the muzzle. You can probably save the time searching and just call Bartlein or one of the others.
As for the weight comparisons, that's my personal experience with 4 different shortys at this point
I have been looking and I can't find anything that shows .73" of steel is more rigid than 1.5" of steel and carbon fiber. I'm not saying you're wrong I just can't find it anywhere. I have found several sites (not rifle barrel related) saying they are close to equal in the same diameter so if the carbon fiber is double the thickness then I don't see how it would be less rigid.

I guess I have not had any issue with a carbon barrel supporting a suppressor. Specifically, I'm running a Bartlein Sendero CF which is a fairly light contour. And I'm running a SiCo 36M which is not exactly a lightweight can. It shoots both suppressed and unsupressed sub half-minute. Also I have a K&P steel barrel that also shoots sub half minute both suppressed and unsupressed. The only difference between the two is how heavy they are.

I have no idea where the claims that a thin contour or carbon wrapped barrel can't support a can come from. I've been doing it for years (as have many gunsmiths) and it's been just fine. Is this just another "phantom rule" that internet communities have created or am I missing something?

The only discernible difference that I have ever noticed is the amount of zero shift. With a very heavy contour, it was not uncommon for me to see roughly a half minute shift, versus a thinner profile would shift a minute to a minute and a half. Of course this is very dependent on the specific rifle. But regardless of a half minute shift to even say a two minute shift, does it really matter if it is repeatable? Surely you guys are recording a suppressed and unsuppressed zero, right?

Last edited:
Muzzle dia is important only for thread sizing, for me anyway. You can't put 5/8-24 threads on a muzzle less than .625" without thread adapters and extra crap. Pick your muzzle device in a given thread pitch based on availability, direct thread suppressor it's obvious. In my case Q makes adaptors in multiple pitches for the can I already own some are available some back order.
What's your intended use of the gun?
Will saving a few ounces be worth the extra cost?
On hunting rifles I'm all for carbon fiber, every ounce counts in the hills and the cool factor is undeniable.
Truck, tractor, deer blind gun it's a toss up you'll never notice the extra ounce or two.
Folder or fixed stock, in/out of a pack or use only a sling.
Target gun the extra weight is beneficial, but I leave my 12lb long barreled gun at home if I'm walking any distance.
My next rifle will wear a 16" steel m24 contour, folding stock, it'll be exclusively suppressed and should fit perfectly in my pack.

A 20" Bartlein #3 contour will be just over .725 at the muzzle and works well with a TBAC CB. Assuming you don't short shank it, if you do you might need to go to 19".

One of these days I'll have the gunsmith weigh a finished barrel before they install it....
They told be flutted would be right at 2lbs. Would be lighter than lightest CF I've found. Un flutted very close to lightest.

Edited. I meant a benchmark #3 flutted. Benchmark quoted me the 2lb weight. I think bartlien May be a slightly heavier contour.

Last edited:
I have been looking and I can't find anything that shows .73" of steel is more rigid than 1.5" of steel and carbon fiber. I'm not saying you're wrong I just can't find it anywhere. I have found several sites (not rifle barrel related) saying they are close to equal in the same diameter so if the carbon fiber is double the thickness then I don't see how it would be less rigid.
Here is one article https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/carbon-wrapped-barrel.93657/#post-662432
Post #6

24" Carbon Sendero Lite had inconsistent POI with suppressor.
24" SS #4 had consistent POI with suppressor.
24" Carbon Sendero had consistent POI suppressor

My experience is:
A carbon wrapped barrel needs a larger diameter than steel barrel of equal length to retain a consistent POI when a suppressor is hung on the end...Which means the larger contour needed for carbon wrapped barrels to support suppressors adds weight/inch... which negates the weight advantage over steel barrels.

Last edited:
That was a post from 10 years ago. The following post after fiftydrivers explained that it depends on the weave and bonding agents which is what I have been finding. I also believe technology has advanced quite a bit since 2012. Call me a skeptic but from the research I have done I can't find anything "proving" the theory that a carbon barrel with a steel liner that twice the thickness of a steel barrel is less rigid. If someone could find something proving this theory I would like to see it since I have always been under the impression that carbon fiber barrels are more rigid.