Carbon or something else?

tribb

Need some help here . I am not familiar with carbon rings at all . This is in my friends rifle I was starting load development for hammer Hunter bullets and found this!!! Picture on the left is a photo of the display on the bore scope as all of the pictures are! Is the white fuzz y stuff reflection or spider webbs? (I don't know how to attach it to my android phone) I tried to show the throat area and what I thought 🤔 was the carbon ring with copper from the dummy round I made up! Yes it stuck in the barrel and tapped out easily! You can see the rough ring around the dummy bullet in the right picture.I believe the bullet may have pulled out of the case a bit when I ejected the round. The third picture is a close up of ( copper ? ) in the throat. Thanks for all your thoughts,comments and or advice .

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_161533559.jpg
    IMG_20221207_161533559.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_20221206_155400234.jpg
    IMG_20221206_155400234.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 555
  • IMG_20221207_161009846.jpg
    IMG_20221207_161009846.jpg
    851.4 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Need some help here . I am not familiar with carbon rings at all . This is in my friends rifle I was starting load development for hammer Hunter bullets and found this!!! Picture on the left is a photo of the display on the bore scope as all of the pictures are! Is the white fuzz y stuff reflection or spider webbs? (I don't know how to attach it to my android phone) I tried to show the throat area and what I thought 🤔 was the carbon ring with copper from the dummy round I made up! Yes it stuck in the barrel and tapped out easily! You can see the rough ring around the dummy bullet in the right picture.I believe the bullet may have pulled out of the case a bit when I ejected the round. The third picture is a close up of ( copper ? ) in the throat. Thanks for all your thoughts,comments and or advice .
T T T

Well..let me start.....
That barrel needs to be SUPER SCRUBBED before any load workup...it's nasty.....don't recognize any cobwebs...but it sure looks like powder residue..powder that wasn't fully burnt....
If that is the bullet that you chambered and it left that much copper in the barrel and pulled from the case..you were way to jammed for my liking.....although I haven't yet used hammers there still shouldn't be that much bullet into the lands.......

Clean the barrel...
Find jam...with removed firing pin & ejector removed...
Then run a start load.....

Well..let me start.....
That barrel needs to be SUPER SCRUBBED before any load workup...it's nasty.....don't recognize any cobwebs...but it sure looks like powder residue..powder that wasn't fully burnt....
If that is the bullet that you chambered and it left that much copper in the barrel and pulled from the case..you were way to jammed for my liking.....although I haven't yet used hammers there still shouldn't be that much bullet into the lands.......

Clean the barrel...
Find jam...with removed firing pin & ejector removed...
Then run a start load.....
That mark on the bullet isn't from jamming the lands. It's from all the fouling in the throat. Your point stands that it needs cleaned but there is a clear carbon ring in the throat of that barrel which caused that circumferential gouge in the bullet. Lands do not score the whole circumference of a bullet. A day or two soak in boretech eliminator will help. I personally use CLR but I won't go around recommending it.

Agree. Scrub, scrub,scrub first. Then see what your bore looks like. There's so much crud, it's hard to tell what you've got?
It looks like a carbon ring first, then a copper ring on top of a second carbon ring 🤣🤣

Not picking on you OP, just picking on your buddy. JK. But trying to find a load with that fouling in the throat will be futile, and carbon rings are pesky even with the best solvents in the world.

I'd fill it with clr for a few hours....drain it..then take a drill attached to a cleaning rod and run it thru there about 20 times to help break all the garbage loose...then start a good cleaning...
...and I've used clr....works good....just don't get it on paint..bluing..and make sure to rinse it out REALLY well....
Then show us some pics.....

Last edited:
That mark on the bullet isn't from jamming the lands. It's from all the fouling in the throat. Your point stands that it needs cleaned but there is a clear carbon ring in the throat of that barrel which caused that circumferential gouge in the bullet. Lands do not score the whole circumference of a bullet. A day or two soak in boretech eliminator will help. I personally use CLR but I won't go around recommending it.
Thank you that's my thinking

I think a nylon brush wrapped with burgundy Scotch-Brite, coated with J-B's may be in order here. Do you know what barrel is on the gun?
Yes it's a factory christian arms. Is the burgundy stuff more fine than the other colors? Thanks