Carbon in unfired barrel?

That was my next step.
I am re-chambering this barrel to 7STW over the weekend, my other barrel is already at half life I have shot it so much recently. So, I thought this could be a spare barrel.
I'll take some pics after I run some CLR through it.

Cheers.
CLR isn't going to do anything for it.

Try one of the foaming bore cleaners if anything.

I stand them on end crown end down on a paper plate with a couple of folded paper towels. Fill them up and then examine the paper towels after they've had a few hours to work.

That will tell you what is coming out of your bore.

Ok, here is a patch after letting the CLR soak for about an hour.
I will update as I progress….it is getting better.
Pic 1:
EAE9F0F1-C898-4D17-9E0E-90D77BAFA217.jpeg
Cheers.

G'day all,
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what this black substance is in a new take off barrel?
I assume it was shot at the factory, but I cleaned this and it still is showing this black substance.

Cheers.
Pics attached:
try 0000 steel wool / copper wool wrapped around a mop with oil

Its the new covid variant -- remavitis. Clearly it's extremely dangerous otherwise it never would have happened to a ss barrel. You'll need to check the temp on that barrel everytime you fire it. Make sure you put a muzzle cover on it so it won't spread, I hear it's highly contagious .....I think they will have a booster shot available for it soon. It doesn't show up on current otc at home tests so you'll have to report to your local atf office for testing and registration. You will be required to get a large red "V" tattoo on your forehead so we all know you have been vacinated and are safe to fire that without fear of spreading it to all of our guns. And make sure you wash your hands correctly and drink lots of alcohol --- as we all know alcohol fixes everything.

🤪
What about the app with QR code, which you have to show at every shooting venue or activity? We all want to get back to normal...or uh...the new normal.

Chamber it and shoot it. It will shoot or not. I would love to have the ability to chamber and do my own rifle work. It sure cuts out some major cost. Let us know how it shoots.

Its the new covid variant -- remavitis. Clearly it's extremely dangerous otherwise it never would have happened to a ss barrel. You'll need to check the temp on that barrel everytime you fire it. Make sure you put a muzzle cover on it so it won't spread, I hear it's highly contagious .....I think they will have a booster shot available for it soon. It doesn't show up on current otc at home tests so you'll have to report to your local atf office for testing and registration. You will be required to get a large red "V" tattoo on your forehead so we all know you have been vacinated and are safe to fire that without fear of spreading it to all of our guns. And make sure you wash your hands correctly and drink lots of alcohol --- as we all know alcohol fixes everything.

🤪
Also....critically important.....you must socially distance that barrel from the stock and other components in a strong corrugated box with maximum internal packing at precisely 832.678 miles. Per latest NSA/ATF/FBI ping, that should place it on my front porch for maximum social distancing. Glad to be of community service. Will advise if/when social distancing is no longer required.......maybe about 2000 rounds......Fauci indicates to be somewhat caliber dependent.

With these smallish pictures, it looks like a stain in the barrel metal, and not something that is sitting on top of the metal. Do you get the same impression? I'd be curious what firing a few bullets would do. It doesn't look to me like it'll affect the barrel's performance.

I hear JB is just as good, but I've found Iosso will remove just about anything. If you want it gone, you might try that as your next step.
My thoughts^^^. Staining from a solvent? I'd shoot it and see if the bullets remove or lessen it.

I ran more CLR in the barrel this morning and let it soak for 4 hours.
Just ran another patch through and you can see more black coming out. Ran the borescope in and most of the black has come off the lands.
At this point I am done, will run the barrel in, clean and see where it's at.
It's too hot to be running a lathe at the moment, it's 35°C and my shop isn't climate controlled, maybe this afternoon it will cool enough.
Here's some pics.

Attachments

• 697F6415-8BD6-4843-8495-5B3892FA141B.jpeg
    697F6415-8BD6-4843-8495-5B3892FA141B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 1EE596A5-D7F3-4287-8BEF-99112970594B.jpeg
    1EE596A5-D7F3-4287-8BEF-99112970594B.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DE42EA21-7955-42F8-B9A8-068081A88923.jpeg
    DE42EA21-7955-42F8-B9A8-068081A88923.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 60
  • D729DA88-3614-46C1-B7CD-9CE1F7008CCF.jpeg
    D729DA88-3614-46C1-B7CD-9CE1F7008CCF.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 71
  • CCB97DC5-9523-43E5-BE7F-678A912B85A4.jpeg
    CCB97DC5-9523-43E5-BE7F-678A912B85A4.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 61
I ran more CLR in the barrel this morning and let it soak for 4 hours.
Just ran another patch through and you can see more black coming out. Ran the borescope in and most of the black has come off the lands.
At this point I am done, will run the barrel in, clean and see where it's at.
It's too hot to be running a lathe at the moment, it's 35°C and my shop isn't climate controlled, maybe this afternoon it will cool enough.
Here's some pics.
You have a lot more patience than I do.😂

What I can see of the throat looks pretty good, my big concern is all the pitting. How is it looking on down the tube?

You have a lot more patience than I do.😂

What I can see of the throat looks pretty good, my big concern is all the pitting. How is it looking on down the tube?
I don't see any pitting, there is some scratches and dull areas but no pitting.
Other than the black stuff, the bore looks pretty good,
I will hazard a guess that once the gayness is removed, aka 7RM chamber, it will be a hammer.

Cheers.