Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

Didn't read the whole thread but carbon barrels can be threaded for suppressors at a perceived lighter weight than a comparable steel barrel needed to reach minimum muzzle diameter for threading.

The other huge consideration I don't hear anyone talk about is the fact that a carbon barrel will allow you to have a bigger brake without it looking hideous end it does matter. A bigger brake is far better at recoil reduction.
My buddy had a tikka 300wsm pencil barrel with a 1" 3 port. It looked like a silencer :)

Just looked up the contours for steel barrels if anyone is interested:

- Brux #4 unfinished at 27" is listed at 3.5 lbs, after chambering and fluting you'd be **** close at 26" vs a proof (pretty sure Krieger, Benchmark are very similar as well)
- Bartlein #4 is totally different, and is 4.5 lbs

*If someone wanted to save money and still come in at a similar weight, the Brux wouldn't be a bad option. A bunch of options in stocks with the smaller diameter barrel as well.

Brux and Rock Creek are 1 contour number different than Bartlein.
Brux #3 = Bartlein #2b
Brux #4 = Bartlein #3
Brux #5 = Bartlein #4

I'm building a new rifle. I'm leaning towards a bartlein carbon fiber barrel for weight. This will be a 80-20 hunting vs target build. What are the cons and disadvantages of carbon fiber barrels?
I like the weight of the carbon but when I'm at the range how many rounds can I put down range before it heats up and isn't as accurate?
This is my first build with carbon barrel and from what I understand once the stock is built around a carbon barrel you cannot really go back to a steel barrel.
Is the barrel life that much lower then a steel barrel?
Any input on carbon vs steel would be appreciated
Just my opinion so here goes. You state 80/20 Hunting 80%/Target 20%. Barrel life shouldn't concern you. Weight, CF wrapped wins hands down ( contour to contour). Price is the only downside in your case IMO. I'm doing exactly the same as you. Building a first CWF barreled rifle. I'm going with Bartlein also. About the same ratio hunting/target. Price for me is not much of an issue since I'm building it. If I were buying a custom built rifle, maybe. I built a 33 Nosler for a buddy using the M24 Bartlein CF barrel. 700.00 plus 140.00 chambering from my gunsmith. Stock was 400.00. Factory Remington 700 action 385.00. Trigger tech trigger 150.00. For under 1800.00, having a carbon barrel on a custom rifle is a steal. I'm going the same route only a different cartridge. Pretty sure the carbon option is one you'd like.

I have 2 AG Composites stocks : talk w/Pam in their office, she is great to talk to and very knowledgeable. I have had a very bad experience w/Proof Research and a 284 cal w/1 in 8 twist barrel. It wouldn't not a 3 shot group at all, cold, warm, cold foul barrel. They blamed my gunsmith for my 7wsm not shooting well. we tried 5 different bullet and powder combinations and over 200 rounds. I ended up sending my barrel back to PR and they are suppose to send me a replacement but they are 6 to 8 weeks behind in their shipping. Went w/Bartlein as a replacement barrel. Now it shoots in the .400" arena. Just be careful down the road w/PR. Not a big fan even though I wanted
to be

I have 2 AG Composites stocks : talk w/Pam in their office, she is great to talk to and very knowledgeable. I have had a very bad experience w/Proof Research and a 284 cal w/1 in 8 twist barrel. It wouldn't not a 3 shot group at all, cold, warm, cold foul barrel. They blamed my gunsmith for my 7wsm not shooting well. we tried 5 different bullet and powder combinations and over 200 rounds. I ended up sending my barrel back to PR and they are suppose to send me a replacement but they are 6 to 8 weeks behind in their shipping. Went w/Bartlein as a replacement barrel. Now it shoots in the .400" arena. Just be careful down the road w/PR. Not a big fan even though I wanted
to be
Everyone and anyone can produce a bad barrel. I have 2 Bartleins. One is the most accurate and easy to shoot I've ever had. It loves everything. 95% of what I've tried shoots half inch or less , I'm talking every reload I've tried and tons of different factory ammo. The other one is the biggest *** barrel I've ever had. Absolutes will NOT shoot under 1" at 100. Had it spun up, put 350 rounds thru it, then set back another 3/4" and chambered again and then finally gave up. Got a kreiger. Same reamer to cut the chamber. Shoots .3"-.4" pretty consistently . Gotta get hold of Bart see if they can inspect it .. something is not right with it. And it's not typical of Bart to produce something like this.. not bashing them either ! I have 2 proofs. 1 comp contour steel 223 Wylde on a tl3 and a 24" carbon on an origin in 6.5 creed. They both shoot way under .5" at 100. anybody can make a bad barrel or bad product unfortunately.. but what sucks is when you get hyped up about something, and your first experience Sours you on it ...

Not sure what your point was with this post. I've got sub 9 lb 30 cals I can spot shots with. Carbon barrels, good brakes, and the right stock.

The extra weight being in the barrel and action IMO is better than a light barrel and weighted stock to make them weigh the same.

I also like more weight in a barrel as a big heat sink

Hi,
I've been looking for somebody that will Carbon Wrapped your pre-fit (existing) Blaser R8 barrels, talked to Christensen, Proof, Hells Canyon and Carbon Six with no luck.... can anybody help.
Straight used to wrap barrels, but the downside is they are Very large in diameter. They did one for me 10 yrs ago.

Ive had 50/50 experience with then.

My buddy had a Christensen when they were fairly new. Shot amazing until he did a long string on a mid 30C summer day and it delaminated, ugly. The heat has to go somewhere and in this case its to the glue first. If the chem or application is out of spec bubble city. It's in theory quicker to heat but quicker to cool. The tec has come a LONG way since. Most manufacturers i hope will stand by their gear as failure rates continue to fall.

Ive handled the bergara 22 in both flavours. The carbon "feels" stiffer? Harder? Maybe kicked a little due to weight? Different but nice, like a heavier profile barrel but lighter. I would take a steel for a bench rifle. The carbon was way quicker to both heat and cool but .22. So what do i know.

Stiffness is realitive. A medium carbon should be stiffer than any equivalent steel up the heavy end. But i have yet to see proper big carbon barrels. Im supprised i havent seen a full length fluted bull wrapped up to get airflow and stiffness.

As far as fitment, i had my current range stock (for a tikka t3x) fitted with a bull spec wooden dowel attached and put the lighter barrel back on so when i stop using it for hunting i can swap the barrel to big boi size.
No discernable negative accuracy difference, went from a .8-1moa to closer to .75 steady at 200.

So personally i went with a bull steel kreig and bedded the old stock and a new stock, bedded(range/hunting) and some scotch for the same price as a fitted carbon. They are nice but the price, especially here in canada

Hi,
I've been looking for somebody that will Carbon Wrapped your pre-fit (existing) Blaser R8 barrels, talked to Christensen, Proof, Hells Canyon and Carbon Six with no luck.... can anybody help.
Keep looking I believe I've read somewhere a while back that someone will wrap your barrels for you but I cannot remember who

Don't assume a CF barrel is lighter over steel barrel, im going through this same thing on a tikka 300WSm build for a friend.
Bartlien CF is 3.5 lbs and proof med sporter steel is 3.6 lbs same length plus the CF is 400.00 more.

I own a Tikka T3X in .300 WM rifle Sherm....IIRC, I think the Proof CF barrel , with muzzle break was 2 oz. heavier than the factory pencil thin barrel... And, there are only 2 benefits to the CF barrel that I have tried to assuage my conscience with spending close to $1000 for barrel and machining/gunsmithing: 1. It looks nice, if you like that look😊...... 2. And - when practicing at the range- I can shoot more rounds before I see any "stringing" of rounds.
It did not open up the groups beyond what I think would still be acceptable for hunting - but it did enlarge the groups for sure. I look back at this purchase...and shrug. Would I do it again? Only if I thought that I could not have 2 rifles....
One for strictly shooting at the range, and one dedicated lightweight hunter. This rifle was an attempt to create 1 rifle - great at both. light enough to carry long distances - but still able to shoot a 1/2 day at the range- with reasonably quick rate of fire for a bolt gun. Did it work?....I think so, but this is my gun for Elk ( tho - due to my faith in it...I am going to take it on a hog hunt a some point...)
T