Carbon Fiber Tripod - Recommend me a setup

I'm a huge fan of the Outdoorsmans and have a bunch of their stuff. I eventually will be getting a second tripod because I often find myself wanting two In the field. The Jim White head pans/tilts smooth, which I think is essential for shooting video. The ball head on the RRS is "great" for shooting and "good" for glassing. I'm saving my pennies LOL
That Jim White tripod head is a very good design, been around for a long time, and very lightweight for packing. Mr White has passed and Outdoorsmans bough the patent rights to it and have improved upon it to take the ARCA plate. I also have a ProMaster CF tripod with the same head, I carry both so when needing to switch things around to make a shot I can also have my binos on my quarry.

Yes I'm a newbie here. But a long long time lurker. I could not justify spending a lot of cash on a really nice setup on tripod and heads. So I did the cheaper China made on Amazon.

$280 total and I've used it this year varmint hunting, deer hunting and hog hunting. It works great. Very Very stable and very strong. It's not sand bag bench steady but steady enough for me to take kills over 500 yards.

I'll probably get hammered on this but dang spending $1500 to $2000 on a tripod I just couldn't justify no more than I use it.
If a person looks long enough or thinks hard enough one can find a Plethora ( 338 dude...that means a Bunch) of very good substitutes that don't break the bank.... I couldn't find a friggin Monopod for my 50 BMG...for under 170.00...so I built one for 17.00 yesterday....now the prototype is done and works....I can make better ones...it's our money...I for one can't waste too much more of it!

Attachments

• PXL_20210112_184844748.jpg
    PXL_20210112_184844748.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
  • PXL_20210112_190502681.jpg
    PXL_20210112_190502681.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
If a person looks long enough or thinks hard enough one can find a Plethora ( 338 dude...that means a Bunch) of very good substitutes that don't break the bank.... I couldn't find a friggin Monopod for my 50 BMG...for under 170.00...so I built one for 17.00 yesterday....now the prototype is done and works....I can make better ones...it's our money...I for one can't waste too much more of it!
Nice vocabulary dig...I see what you did there.

I have a hog saddle and just ordered the same set up but a series 2L tripod. I'm now debating whether I should change my order to a series 3L for the added stability. It is about 1 lb difference.

That Jim White tripod head is a very good design, been around for a long time, and very lightweight for packing. Mr White has passed and Outdoorsmans bough the patent rights to it and have improved upon it to take the ARCA plate. I also have a ProMaster CF tripod with the same head, I carry both so when needing to switch things around to make a shot I can also have my binos on my quarry.
Is that Jim White head as smooth, balanced, lockable as their other options? I am eying that bcause it's for Arca and I don't feel Ike making a drastic change to everything. Basically, are there any downsides to it over their other options?

Is that Jim White head as smooth, balanced, lockable as their other options? I am eying that bcause it's for Arca and I don't feel Ike making a drastic change to everything. Basically, are there any downsides to it over their other options?
I've never used their other options so I can't comment. I can tell you my Jim White heads are rock solid, smooth and work very well. Lighter than many others also. I have 4-5 other friends that also use them and swear by it.

I am curious to know what you guys recommend for a packable carbon fiber tripod for hunting Elk, Mule Deer, etc, in rugged conditions.

I would like to buy one soon to start practicing off of this Spring / Summer.

Also, what QD system, if any, do you recommend to switch between mounting optics and the rifle on the tripod.

I want to get a nice one and don't want to regret what I buy.

Thanks for the conversation, in advance.
You should look into the Vortex tripods. They have some awesome carbon fiber tripods that work great for packing, but are still strong. My favorite is the Summit Carbon II. This is a cool article about it:

https://www.ehuntr.com/product-review-vortex-summit-carbon-ii/

@mercerbear how is your 34L working for you?

I finally got some time in with the RRS binocular clamp. The clamp now lives on the binos, they go in and out of the bivvy real nice and I don't have to worry about losing the bino tower. I purchased a new set of EL 10x32 binos for the wife from the Outdoorsmans, I opted not to get the free stud they offered. I ordered a second RRS binocular clamp for the wife, she loves it too.
57EB3D26-BF70-428A-917B-7280EBF0563A.jpeg

@mercerbear how is your 34L working for you?

I finally got some time in with the RRS binocular clamp. The clamp now lives on the binos, they go in and out of the bivvy real nice and I don't have to worry about losing the bino tower. I purchased a new set of EL 10x32 binos for the wife from the Outdoorsmans, I opted not to get the free stud they offered. I ordered a second RRS binocular clamp for the wife, she loves it too.
View attachment 314959
I love it.

What a great piece of gear. I can't think of any improvements I'd like to see to it or any of the accessories.

Great questions...
Weight is more of a priority than cost
Stability is more of a priority than cost
Overall convenience of the set up in mounting optics and rifle is more important that cost or weight
I have not committed yet to a mounting system, so I am fluid as to a ARCA / Picatinny, Etc system
Plenty of room to pack it - I carry a Sitka Mountain Hauler and have many options for attaching it to that pack
I'm 6'8". I would like to be able to shoot MOA off of it. In fact, precision shooting is my foremost concern. I'm not sure standing will be an option for any tripod for me.
I don't care about a friend being able to mount a rifle too it on the fly. If that becomes a concern, we will plan accordingly.

Thanks!

I'd suggest staying away from tripods with a center column. Well with all of the above being more important to you than cost, you're not going to get lighter or more stable than an RRS and an Anvil 30 BH. I went with the RRS TVC24 and Anvil 30. The 24 had a smaller leg diameter and a bit Lighter than the 33 /34 which is why I went that route for hunting. Love it. total was around $1400-ish with the Balhead. Best piece of kit I've yet to drop money on. Had no issues supporting a 26+ lbs rifle in the standing. Stable as can be.

Edit* I just saw that you're 6'8". I'd suggest getting the 24L. It's a bit taller. Mine goes up to 60" without the BH. Sets up perfect for me with room to go. I'm 6'0.

Last edited:

Recent Posts