Carbon Fiber Tripod - Recommend me a setup

mercerbear

I am curious to know what you guys recommend for a packable carbon fiber tripod for hunting Elk, Mule Deer, etc, in rugged conditions.

I would like to buy one soon to start practicing off of this Spring / Summer.

Also, what QD system, if any, do you recommend to switch between mounting optics and the rifle on the tripod.

I want to get a nice one and don't want to regret what I buy.

Thanks for the conversation, in advance.

What are the priorities:
Weight or cost (most important for good recommendations)?
Stability or cost?
Weight or stability?
Weight of tripod or modularity of mounting system for rifle/optics (ARCA clamp vis hog saddle weight difference is significant)?
Modify rifle/optics or no (ARCA clamp, vis picatenny clamp, vis manfrotto clamp adapter)?
How much room do you have to pack it (I drive logging roads or use horses and don't care is different than I have to carry it in my day pack)?
How well do you want to be able to shoot off of it standing (~MOA vs 2-2.5 MOA)?
Do you want to be able to have a friend mount their rifle in it?

I use the Javelinbipod.com tripods. great system. Super light. Lots of adapters to mount optics and/or rifles, and also bipods that snap into the same adapters on the rifle.
I have all my guns with flush mounted gunsmith adapters, one in front of the sling swivel, one just ahead of the magazine. Works like a charm. I use bipods mostly off the bench, tripods to shoot sitting, standing, kneeling, for spotting scope, binos, Labradar.
Check them out.
SnT

Cost is high, Light weight, fastest attach/detach system out there

Last edited:
What are the priorities:
Weight or cost (most important for good recommendations)?
Stability or cost?
Weight or stability?
Weight of tripod or modularity of mounting system for rifle/optics (ARCA clamp vis hog saddle weight difference is significant)?
Modify rifle/optics or no (ARCA clamp, vis picatenny clamp, vis manfrotto clamp adapter)?
How much room do you have to pack it (I drive logging roads or use horses and don't care is different than I have to carry it in my day pack)?
How well do you want to be able to shoot off of it standing (~MOA vs 2-2.5 MOA)?
Do you want to be able to have a friend mount their rifle in it?
Great questions...
Weight is more of a priority than cost
Stability is more of a priority than cost
Overall convenience of the set up in mounting optics and rifle is more important that cost or weight
I have not committed yet to a mounting system, so I am fluid as to a ARCA / Picatinny, Etc system
Plenty of room to pack it - I carry a Sitka Mountain Hauler and have many options for attaching it to that pack
I'm 6'8". I would like to be able to shoot MOA off of it. In fact, precision shooting is my foremost concern. I'm not sure standing will be an option for any tripod for me.
I don't care about a friend being able to mount a rifle too it on the fly. If that becomes a concern, we will plan accordingly.

Thanks!

I use the Javelinbipod.com tripods. great system. Super light. Lots of adapters to mount optics and/or rifles, and also bipods that snap into the same adapters on the rifle.
I have all my guns with flush mounted gunsmith adapters, one in front of the sling swivel, one just ahead of the magazine. Works like a charm. I use bipods mostly off the bench, tripods to shoot sitting, standing, kneeling, for spotting scope, binos, Labradar.
Check them out.
SnT
This is EXACTLY the type of system I am interested in. I will be sure to give them a look. Please keep any ideas or suggestions flowing. I appreciate all of your input to help me research and figure out what direction I am going here.

I really don't want to end up with 2k worth of gear I don't like.

Great questions...
Weight is more of a priority than cost
Stability is more of a priority than cost
Overall convenience of the set up in mounting optics and rifle is more important that cost or weight
I have not committed yet to a mounting system, so I am fluid as to a ARCA / Picatinny, Etc system
Plenty of room to pack it - I carry a Sitka Mountain Hauler and have many options for attaching it to that pack
I'm 6'8". I would like to be able to shoot MOA off of it. In fact, precision shooting is my foremost concern. I'm not sure standing will be an option for any tripod for me.
I don't care about a friend being able to mount a rifle too it on the fly. If that becomes a concern, we will plan accordingly.

Thanks!
At 6'8" you're gonna need a hell of a tripod. RRS is probably what you'll need to be happy.

Get yourself an rrs 3 piece tripod with an anvil head. It'll be quite pricey, but it's the best setup out there. I compromised with a PVA comp40 and an anvil for my heavy config, two vets no name Jr for my light setup. These are a fair bit cheaper, but still give a lot of bang for the buck. Buy once cry once, that kinda where I'm at these days.....

Get yourself an rrs 3 piece tripod with an anvil head. It'll be quite pricey, but it's the best setup out there. I compromised with a PVA comp40 and an anvil for my heavy config, two vets no name Jr for my light setup. These are a fair bit cheaper, but still give a lot of bang for the buck. Buy once cry once, that kinda where I'm at these days.....
I'm in the same boat. I'd rather buy the nicest gear once. Thanks for the post. I'll check RRS out.

I assume their system allows quick changing from a spotting scope to a rifle or binoculars.

The javelin system is my favourite I have pic rails on some of my rifles he makes adapters that work with almost everything. I put the Davros head on my carbon fibre tripod and can put the arca head back on in minutes if I want to use it for my prs rifle. Very versatile system and quick on and off. The bipod is on in seconds and the same with the tripod head. I can't agree more with Snooks assessment of this system it's designed for hunters by hunters! This is the Davros head below that adapts to 1/4 and 3/8 threads making it easy to adapt to many tripods or if you have the cash get his tripod and you can break it down for use as walking sticks as well!! Good luck there is lots of options out there!

Attachments

• 65E8012F-66B8-40BC-BB14-8F7398301516.png
    65E8012F-66B8-40BC-BB14-8F7398301516.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 178
I'm in the same boat. I'd rather buy the nicest gear once. Thanks for the post. I'll check RRS out.

I assume their system allows quick changing from a spotting scope to a rifle or binoculars.
The anvil head takes arca or pic rail. My spotter and binos have arca, rifles are a mix of arca or pic. It's a badass mount. There are lighter options but I think the anvil is the most solid, adaptable, well built ball head out there.

Slick makes a carbon fiber that is sturdy and will fit us lengthy fellows. It's nice a little bulky but light and works for shooting and glassing

Recent Posts