Carbon fiber stock build

There are a few outfits in the states that you could send a cad model to and have them print it to give you an idea if it would work. And if it doesn't need to be PMA materials for aerospace the price is lower.

Check out visionminer.com

They sell all the printers and equipment, offer printing services, and also do consultations (I feel I heard them say for free at some point) to make sure it's will actually work for you. They seem like they're at the forefront of hight temp materials printing
Thanks I'll check them out

@Tidus56 check out their section of high temp materials. There are options that would work as well as peek for your use that are cheaper. Things like ultem or pei maybe.

I'm wondering about chopped fibers instead of fabric....pretty good strength still, just not that pretty carbon fiber look. I've considered using the chopped fibers to make a bedding block in a stock I'm imagining

I've thought about using the shopped stuff by 3d printing a mold to make a mini chassis insert for a stock.
I've not looked into 3d printing at all...yet. is there some kind of 3d scanner you can use to create your drawings or do you have to draw it up in CAD? I'm learning fusion360 but not near good enough yet to adequately dimension out a chassis that would require lots of bedding

I've not looked into 3d printing at all...yet. is there some kind of 3d scanner you can use to create your drawings or do you have to draw it up in CAD? I'm learning fusion360 but not near good enough yet to adequately dimension out a chassis that would require lots of bedding

There are a quite few 3d scanners, I've got a cheap handheld one that doesn't work very well lol. Apparently some are pretty good, but even the best ones require a lot of cleanup before it's ready to be manufactured. I'm in the same boat with fusion360. It's free and does lots, but the learning curve is steep. I do simple stuff myself, anything else I have an engineer friend that helps lol

You can do it, it takes some time and a lot of trial and error but its not that bad. We actually bought a scanner but we weren't very happy with the results. Just wasn't accurate enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts