Carbon fiber prefit barrel

LongWalker

Have a Savage stainless 110 long action I want to rebarrel with a carbon fiber prefit in 280 AI. It looks like Proof and Carbon Six are the choices so any info on either is most appreciated.

And just as a FWIW, why are all the quality lightweight (6 lb-ish) factory riles in 280 AI are all 1-9 twist? They all make 28 Nosler models with 1-8 but the 280 AI can run a 175gr @ 2900 fps or a little better but won't fully stabilize with the 1-9 twist rate.

As always all your sage advice is most appreciated.

Dunno if it helps, but I screwed a Proof CF in 7 RM onto a Savage LA a couple years ago, it is 1:8.4 twist and though I was not sure, it DOES stabilize the Berger 195 EOL bullets. .75 MOA groups or better when I do my part. I was so impressed that when I saw a Proof CF barrel in 6.5x284 on sale, I just bought it. This over a year ago and just now am screwing things together.......

Have a Savage stainless 110 long action I want to rebarrel with a carbon fiber prefit in 280 AI. It looks like Proof and Carbon Six are the choices so any info on either is most appreciated.

And just as a FWIW, why are all the quality lightweight (6 lb-ish) factory riles in 280 AI are all 1-9 twist? They all make 28 Nosler models with 1-8 but the 280 AI can run a 175gr @ 2900 fps or a little better but won't fully stabilize with the 1-9 twist rate.

As always all your sage advice is most appreciated.
Never owned a proof but their reputation speaks for itself.
Carbon six uses McGowan barrels which are super inconsistent.
I've had a few McGowan's shoot really well but the last few we're garbage, all were really bad for copper fouling.
If I were dropping big money on a barrel it would never have a McGowan wrapped inside

Dunno if it helps, but I screwed a Proof CF in 7 RM onto a Savage LA a couple years ago, it is 1:8.4 twist and though I was not sure, it DOES stabilize the Berger 195 EOL bullets. .75 MOA groups or better when I do my part. I was so impressed that when I saw a Proof CF barrel in 6.5x284 on sale, I just bought it. This over a year ago and just now am screwing things together.......
Just because a bullet punches round holes in paper does not mean it has enough stability to penetrate and expand in a straight line. When the 195 first came out it said a 9 twist was sufficient and there were a lot of reports of poor performance. I saw several that did not open up and bent like a banana. I suspect they did not have enough spin to keep going straight once they impacted. Think of a top spinning on a table, as it slows down it starts to wobble and becomes unstable.

The O.P is asking about a 175 with a 9 twist, you will be fine with a 9 twist. I did load development for my nephews 7 mag with 180 Bergers in a 9 twist he took to the Yukon that my brother and his wife both used to take there Bull Moose and they performed flawlessly he told me the guide was even impressed how the Bergers preformed.

I bought my first proof this year. It's a 28" sendero in .300 WM. I know every company can produce a lemon, but I think I've only read of maybe 1 or 2 from proof.

Mine, is probably the easiest barrel I've ever worked a load up for. It shoots FAST if that makes any sense, and I'm saving up for my next one now. 3220 avg with a 190 SMK. Picture groups were shot at 425 yards.

I've had a few McGowan's shoot really well but the last few we're garbage, all were really bad for copper fouling.
If I were dropping big money on a barrel it would never have a McGowan wrapped inside

Attachments

• 122D51DC-6C9C-4FED-AD44-27E4ECF5D1D0.jpeg
    122D51DC-6C9C-4FED-AD44-27E4ECF5D1D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
  • 8DED1E90-EDA8-4740-9A3D-1B90169F4B6D.jpeg
    8DED1E90-EDA8-4740-9A3D-1B90169F4B6D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
  • B0886F21-6454-4239-AFFA-8FB39E00BBA0.jpeg
    B0886F21-6454-4239-AFFA-8FB39E00BBA0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 130
look at ragged hole barrels they came out with a carbon wrapped Wilson barrel in savage pre fit.
I have not used their barrels but have heard good things about them and for the price they are an option

Oregon Mountain Rifle Company has savage prefits as well for around $675. I talked to the owner for probably a half hour and they were very helpful. Im looking at a 300 prc for a remage build currently

This is about the only post I've personally seen that trashes McGowen barrels.. I also see that C6 even backs their barrels with a 1/2 minute guarantee, so they can't really be garbage.... I only have one McGowen ss barrel, but it's been great so far.

I actually ordered a couple C6 barrels to try a couple Remage builds, since Proof does not offer Remage prefits... we'll see how that goes... Don't get me wrong, I love the Proof CF barrel I have on another rifle, and would likely go with Proof if they had the options offered by C6, but I'll also easily save about $800 between the two builds said and done by going with C6 Remage over Proof blanks since I can assemble the prefits myself... If both meet the 1/2 MOA guarantee by C6, I'll be just as happy as if I had bought Proofs! Like I said, we'll see if it pays off, or not.

The price difference also isn't quite as paramount between C6 and Proof for Savage prefits, so go with your gut between the two if they both offer the chambering you want.

This is about the only post I've personally seen that trashes McGowen barrels.. I also see that C6 even backs their barrels with a 1/2 minute guarantee, so they can't really be garbage.... I only have one McGowen ss barrel, but it's been great so far.

I actually ordered a couple C6 barrels to try a couple Remage builds, since Proof does not offer Remage prefits... we'll see how that goes... Don't get me wrong, I love the Proof CF barrel I have on another rifle, and would likely go with Proof if they had the options offered by C6, but I'll also easily save about $800 between the two builds said and done by going with C6 Remage over Proof blanks since I can assemble the prefits myself... If both meet the 1/2 MOA guarantee by C6, I'll be just as happy as if I had bought Proofs! Like I said, we'll see if it pays off, or not.

The price difference also isn't quite as paramount between C6 and Proof for Savage prefits, so go with your gut between the two if they both offer the chambering you want.
I've got a 3 year old Carbon Six barrel on my 7 STW and it shoots teeny tiny groups. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.