Carbon Fiber Barrel Harmonics Video

Machining the barrel down produces a lot of HEAT/stress, steel lot number from the foundry can produce different results.

Carbon fiber wrap insulates heat inside.

No carbon fiber for me, I will take a lighter contour, shorter length, 4groove, ss cut barrel.

Comparing the two rifles above is not comparing apples to apples in many ways.

I am going to shut up.

Definitely interesting. There are so many opinions both in favor of CF and against it. I'm not qualified to add any scientific data to the debate, but I do know that I'm attracted to CF barrels for their weight savings and rigidity given similar contours. I can appreciate the competition in building a better product by existing and new companies. In the end the consumer only benefits from this competition.

Real-world experience. The cost of a carbon wrap barrel is $750, then another $350 to the chamber and fit, plus 6 months' wait time, plus shipping fees. Barrel would not shoot worth a darn. Money and time wasted.
The company made good on the barrel, but I am out the chambering fee, $time, and components..

Burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me.

I will take the tried and true every time.

Real-world experience. The cost of a carbon wrap barrel is $750, then another $350 to the chamber and fit, plus 6 months' wait time, plus shipping fees. Barrel would not shoot worth a darn. Money and time wasted.
The company made good on the barrel, but I am out the chambering fee, $time, and components..

I'm not a carbon fan, I do intend to try one for the next barrel on my hunting rig but I am sure just as many junk SS barrels have been put out as there have carbon wrapped.

Taylor, I do not agree with that statement. When you get a bad carbon-wrapped barrel, it is REALLY BAD! Also, a up to a 12-month turnaround on a bad barrel of any kind. I have had quite a few custom SS match barrels, and a bad one is darn rare...like once in a lifetime kind of thing.

I prefer the tried and true vs the latest and greatest idea.

I have been shooting carbon barrels for the past 6 years and have generally good success with them across 9 different barrels. The only issues I've had were directly related to poor chambering jobs by the manufacturer not the carbon barrel itself. Once those were rectified the barrels shot great.

Every Proof barrel I've ever had has shot fantastically and I'm only buying their savage prefits. Carbon 6, they shoot but the chambers have been their weak point. Only have one X-Caliber but it hammers sub 1/2 MOA in a .22-250 with little work up.

Haven't gotten a bad one yet so I'll keep buying them.

I'm not a carbon fan, I do intend to try one for the next barrel on my hunting rig but I am sure just as many junk SS barrels have been put out as there have carbon wrapped.
We tried our first carbon barrel on a 338 edge hunting rig. Shoots well and our rig weighs in at 11.5 pounds. We don't shoot it a lot because it's our hunting rig. So barrel life will last. We don't shoot long shot strings. Only 3 shot groups at the most. Attached is a 3 shot group from the edge at 100yds with a Proof barrel included cold bore.

Attachments

• 35B00C85-A316-452A-9084-5DD1D961E864.jpeg
    35B00C85-A316-452A-9084-5DD1D961E864.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Funny story, I bought a carbon barrel from benchmark last November. It's actually up there right now getting chambered. I was so excited and talking out my *** about the advantages I'd learned from the internet. Kourtney was quick to educate me on carbon barrels. The glue and resin in carbon barrels holds the heat, weight savings on a benchmark carbon is minimal because they don't turn them down as much as proof and carbon is done mostly for aesthetics.
She did however explain to me how is does make a difference in harmonics a little and how well they shoot. So, that's the last time I talk out my *** to the pros about what I learned on the internet,…. Since it's my first Barbie gun I don't mind having the carbon barrel to up the aesthetic nature. I know it will shoot well either way. Benchmark is a fantastic place!

Funny story, I bought a carbon barrel from benchmark last November. It's actually up there right now getting chambered. I was so excited and talking out my *** about the advantages I'd learned from the internet. Kourtney was quick to educate me on carbon barrels. The glue and resin in carbon barrels holds the heat, weight savings on a benchmark carbon is minimal because they don't turn them down as much as proof and carbon is done mostly for aesthetics.
She did however explain to me how is does make a difference in harmonics a little and how well they shoot. So, that's the last time I talk out my *** to the pros about what I learned on the internet,…. Since it's my first Barbie gun I don't mind having the carbon barrel to up the aesthetic nature. I know it will shoot well either way. Benchmark is a fantastic place!
Benchmark is among the best, their deep fluted barrels are stupid light, sub 3lbs at 24" in a #5 contour.
I had a good conversation with one of their builders and he basically said they only offer a CF wrapped barrel cuz they're trendy, there's zero advantage otherwise.

Funny story, I bought a carbon barrel from benchmark last November. Kourtney was quick to educate me on carbon barrels. The glue and resin in carbon barrels holds the heat, weight savings on a benchmark carbon is minimal because they don't turn them down as much as proof and carbon is done mostly for aesthetics.

Benchmark is a fantastic place!

Finally..., an honest report from a CFW barrel manufacturer, willing to state that the CFW barrels do not cool the inner steel liner quicker than a plain-Jane SS or CM barrel.

Another good reason to purchase a barrel from Benchmark.