Carbon Fiber Barrel for Remington Sendero

BearDog

I'm sure this has been discussed before but searching the forum, I can't seem to find the answer I'm after and am looking for someone who has actually done it, to lend some advice.

I own and hunt with a Remington Sendero in .300 WM. She's a shooter with my hand loads and I would hate to alter the guns current performance. This is where I could use some advice. I love the gun, but lugging that thing around for 5+ day mountain hunts gets old. I'm contemplating putting a carbon wrapped barrel on my Sendero to lighten it up a bit. Has anyone out there done this? Was the weight difference noticeable and did you feel it was worth it?

Additionally I'm debating, if I do move forward with the CF barrel, is a 24" or 26" a better option for a .300WM in a 1:10 twist....or does that make a difference? I am looking at Proof, Christensen, and Fierce barrels as options...although I've called and emailed Fierce multiple times with no return calls, so they may be out.

Keep in mind the reason I'm doing this is because I love the weapon and would like to find a way to cut some weight off of it. I replaced the HS stock with a McMillan GS saved a half pound, but if understanding the weights correctly, doing the barrel swap would save close to 2lbs, which is pretty significant. Thanks!

People have been using carbon fiber wrapped barrels for over 20 years. In 2000-2002 Remington and Browning both offered factory rifles in .300 WinMag with a Christensen Arms carbon Fiber barrel on them.

These days, the best CF wrapped barrel is made by Proof Research.

You can get them for around $799 on sale here at Stocky's...

https://www.stockysstocks.com/barre...rels/proof-research-carbon-fiber-barrels.html

They even have a Sendero contour 1:10 twist 28" barrel in stock, and on sale right now for $777.77. With the weigh-savings from the CF barrel, you can afford to get the most out of your .300WM and go with the 28" barrel.

Now, that being said you will still have to have a gunsmith thread the barrel, chamber it and fit it... It is not a pre-fit.

Is there anywhere on proof research site that shows the weight of their barrels?

I've also heard good things about Hardy, I believe out of Australia or NZ. A little cheaper than proof and what I've read people have had great results with them.

Yeah most sites have a finished weight posted although I've found different Sendero contour weights to compare them to so wasn't certain. I've read and heard good reviews about the CF wraps but am curious about people who have made the switch and found the weight saved to be worth the investment? Now with that all said if like MR says a .300 WM should have a 28" barrel, I would hate the pursuit of lightening up my gun to deminish its performance so much by going with a shorter barrel, then maybe this venture isn't worth it. I was thinking of doing a 24" with a MB but am open to a 26", which my Sendero currently has.

I love Proof Research barrels. My Proof barreled 300 WM has a lighter barrel than the standard Sendero and it happens to be the most precise rifle I own.

If money is an issue, Christensen sells CF blanks for $600. Christensen has really upped their product performance over the past couple years. I have a Christensen blank I plan on using for a suppressed short barreled 30/06.

If you plan on shooting the 215, you may want to go with a 9 or 9.5 twist instead of the widely marketed 10 twist. I'd choose the 26" barrel for the 300 WM.

Although I love Proof Research barrels, they are expensive. The most precise rifle I own has a Proof Research barrel on it, and it happens to be a 300 WM.

If money is an issue, Christensen sells CF blanks for $600. Christensen has really upped their product performance over the past couple years. If you plan on shooting the 215, you may want to go with a 9 or 9.5 twist instead of the widely marketed 10 twist. I'd choose the 26" barrel for the 300 WM.

I think you mean a 9 or 9.5 twist for a 230 Hybrid... A 215 will stabilize jus fine in a 1:10".

If you plan on shooting the 215, you may want to go with a 9 or 9.5 twist instead of the widely marketed 10 twist. I'd choose the 26" barrel for the 300 WM.

I think you mean a 9 or 9.5 twist for a 230 Hybrid... A 215 will stabilize jus fine in a 1:10".

I agree with brentc, Berger made adjustments on their twist rate recommendations when they re-adjusted their BCs; 215 and 230 are now 1:9" twist (http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/all-bullets/).

215%20230%20Berger_zpspd2ir1ze.jpg

I guess they should add a disclaimer... "Twist rates are subject to change without notice upon further testing."

I know I have 210's shooting just fine in an 11.25" twist .308 Win at 250-500 ASL, and according to their calculator (prior to this new revamp) is not that far from being stable.

I guess that has changed now, too, because I assume the whole stability algorithm has been adjusted to make the 1:9 stable, vs the last several decades that said the 1:10 was fine.

I guess they should add a disclaimer... "Twist rates are subject to change without notice upon further testing."

I know I have 210's shooting just fine in an 11.25" twist .308 Win at 250-500 ASL, and according to their calculator (prior to this new revamp) is not that far from being stable.

I guess that has changed now, too, because I assume the whole stability algorithm has been adjusted to make the 1:9 stable, vs the last several decades that said the 1:10 was fine.

They did it in Dec of 2015 ...

Berger Bullets Twist Rate Recommendations by Eric Stecker & Bryan Litz | Berger Bullets

Also, mentioned in #19 and 25 of this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...-30-cal-215-hybrid-hunting-164699/index3.html

You should also know that Proofs Sendero contour is more like an m24. Their light Sendero is a little bigger than most barrel manufactures Sendero/ RV contour.

Jay

Go proof
I have 2, 7 rem mag 28inch 1 6.5 creedmoor 26"
Both shoot 1/4 moa at a 1000y

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts