Carbon cleaner?

I've been using Sea Foam for about two years. I used it to clean a carbon ring out in my 6.5-284 Norma, with lots of elbow grease. After that ordeal, I started include it as part of my regular cleaning routine. Ring has not returned, yet.
Just picked up a bottle of Break Free CAC Carbon Cutter. Thought I'd give it a try, so can't say what it will/won't do.

I use break free foaming bore cleaner and Hoppes No.9. Don't know if that's best, or not. Just what I use.

I use the bore tech carbon stuff. Also use there eliminator and cooper stuff to I think it's one of the best products out there and I have a shelf full of this stuff.

For a few years now I have found KG1 works very well on carbon followed by KG12. KG12 is a copper remover but I have found it also removes carbon. My findings are backed up by visual checks with a Hawkeye bore scope.

I just had a carbon ring in my 6.5 PRC that two 24 hr soaks with wipeout followed by two hours of soak/scrub(nylon brush) with wipe boretech eliminator after each application of wipeout would not remove. I even tried jb bore paste with no luck. I ordered some C4 and the ring was gone in one ten minute soak and a few seconds with a nylon brush. It was difficult to see with the Lyman bore scope. The Teslong bore scope is a game changer for those who don't have the money for a Hawkeye. To be honest I am not sure how much better it would be. The Teslong displays a very good picture of what is going on in your barrel.

I've had good luck with

1) Carb-Out by SharpShoot-R https://sharpshootr.com/carb-out/

2) Bore Tech Eliminator (also removes copper, lead) https://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator-bore-cleaner

JMHO, but there is no one carbon (or copper) cleaner that is the best in all situations. Best practice is to have a couple of proven cleaners on hand and rotate through them when cleaning.

And, I would gently suggest that the unfortunate reality is that unless you have a bore scope to check your bore after cleaning, it is really really hard to know how good your carbon (or copper) cleaner really is. Again, JMHO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.