Carbon Cleaner Test Picture Heavy

I got boretech copper remover but haven't bought the C4 yet but I would like to try that, their copper solvent seems to work great
The C4 cleaned so well, it took twice as many rounds to get the barrel to settle down in March 1. Match 2 I didn't spend as much time cleaning and my 6BR went back to about 10 rds to settle down - placed tied 2nd at 330 only 24 shooters.
No other cleaner works better IMHO

You know, in various applications, I have seen it strongly recommended to NOT use chlorinated brake cleaner for whatever it is you're trying to clean.

Why is that?

Vettepilot

As others have stated, I appreciate your test and have certainly learned a lot from it. As for barrel cleaning, since I purchased a borescope I've found and attacked a few very mild carbon rings. They weren't giving me trouble but I've read the horror stories so I wanted rid of them before they decided to give me trouble. I played with wipeout and jb paste along with a couple others. Read something about pb blaster getting under it and turning it loose so I tried the Seymour brand of penetrating oil I use at work on it and with a brush, that was the only thing that made them go away. All this Being said, I didn't try your top competitors. I did also mess with a carboned up muzzle brake and the only thing that would turn it loose and get it back to bare metal was the penetrating oil. I don't know that with true baked on carbon, anything really dissolves it. You've got to have something that can migrate underneath it between it and the host to release it.

5.Montana X-treme - cleaned with light pressure, not quite the oily residue left behind by sample 2, but definitely not dry like sample 3.
View attachment 219722

6. Wipeout - Carbon came out easily cleaned to bare metal, not bone dry like sample 3
View attachment 219723

7. Break Free CLP - removed less carbon than scrubbing without solvent, heavy pressure slightly removed a bit of carbon, definite oily residue, no gummy feel as with sample 1.
View attachment 219724

8. EEZOX - Required more pressure to clean to bare metal, oily residue left behind
View attachment 219725

9. Hoppes 9 foaming bore cleaner - slight pressure removed carbon down to bare metal, not dry like sample 3, light residue remains
View attachment 219726
Simple green is used to clean the egr coolers on duramax Diesel engines and it comes right out with a rinse of water

So there's my highly unscientific test. I had higher hopes for wipeout, but not surprised that Montana did well, very surprised how well the Hoppes foaming cleaner did. I figure I'll definitely keep buying the montana for sure, and probably will incorporate the hoppes a little more than the wipeout in the future depending on whether I am trying to get at copper too or just carbon. I like the eezox for oiling down my shotgun to prevent rust, but the rest of these aren't going to make the cut for future purchases.

Great info. To me it seems that wipe out and accelerator combo is noticeably faster than wipe out alone. Takes carbon and copper out.

You show an interesting show here. The question I have is this. Carbon in a barrel is from gunpowder. High pressure. And it can get in the throat like ceramic. SO is your test the same? I have had to use JB paste to cut the carbon from throats. Which is a non imbedding sanding matrix. But a good comparison.

As others have stated, I appreciate your test and have certainly learned a lot from it. As for barrel cleaning, since I purchased a borescope I've found and attacked a few very mild carbon rings. They weren't giving me trouble but I've read the horror stories so I wanted rid of them before they decided to give me trouble. I played with wipeout and jb paste along with a couple others. Read something about pb blaster getting under it and turning it loose so I tried the Seymour brand of penetrating oil I use at work on it and with a brush, that was the only thing that made them go away. All this Being said, I didn't try your top competitors. I did also mess with a carboned up muzzle brake and the only thing that would turn it loose and get it back to bare metal was the penetrating oil. I don't know that with true baked on carbon, anything really dissolves it. You've got to have something that can migrate underneath it between it and the host to release it.
I think I got someone blaster maybe I'll give that a try

You show an interesting show here. The question I have is this. Carbon in a barrel is from gunpowder. High pressure. And it can get in the throat like ceramic. SO is your test the same? I have had to use JB paste to cut the carbon from throats. Which is a non imbedding sanding matrix. But a good comparison.
No idea how carbon in a tail pipe compares to a barrel...I just saw black stuff and figured I would give it a shot....somebody earlier mentioned a borescope...I have a teslong and use it to monitor my cleaning success and have to say I've seen great results with the montana, which is why I expected it to perform well with this test, but dont really use the hoppes foaming cleaner so was surprised by how well it did. I typically run the wipeout during break in so am always amazed by the blue foam that pushes out, but never really evaluated it for carbon only, because in a rifle barrel that's not really possible. I do not have the accelerator so that might be the key that I'm missing, bit I was definitely surprised by how poorly it did with this particular test.

Like David said above the carbon that I worry about is the stuff that looks shiny and hard after a cleaner has been used. I have not found any cleaner alone that just dissolved it away..... it takes some type mechanical action such as repeated scrubbing with brushes or some type mild abrasive such as JB or the Remington 40X cleaner.
I used to worry about copper until I got a Bore scope and now I don't really get to concerned about it as the quality of barrels I have don't really get much and by the time I get the stubborn carbon out copper is negligible if any.
If someone makes a cleaner that makes that hard baked on carbon dissolve they will make a lot of money.

Like David said above the carbon that I worry about is the stuff that looks shiny and hard after a cleaner has been used. I have not found any cleaner alone that just dissolved it away..... it takes some type mechanical action such as repeated scrubbing with brushes or some type mild abrasive such as JB or the Remington 40X cleaner.
I used to worry about copper until I got a Bore scope and now I don't really get to concerned about it as the quality of barrels I have don't really get much and by the time I get the stubborn carbon out copper is negligible if any.
If someone makes a cleaner that makes that hard baked on carbon dissolve they will make a lot of money.
I wonder how you would go about recreating a carbon ring in a tailpipe....you're right if I could find something on planet earth to dissolve that I could quite working 😁

Kroil with just a bit of mechanical action will remove virtually ANY carbon buildup. I've heard various opinions on whether carbon on an AR15 bolt should be removed or not and there are certainly many "scrapers" marketed to preform that very task. I've learned personally that a bit of Kroil soaking for 30 seconds and a small piece of scotchbrite will clean an AR bolt VERY easily.....and it works on barrels as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts