Carbon barrels

bsnyder

So I've read multiple threads on which carbon barrel to go with, but yet I'm still here asking the question in this time is there really anything these companies are doing better than the other? The ones I have it narrowed down to are carbon six,hells canyon armory mainly because they do a 7 twist or the Bart. Have a steel barrel from them and that's by far my best shooting rifle. The only carbon barrel I have is a proof in a factory savage 28 nosler it was hands down the dirtiest barrel I've ever been around during break in which still isn't complete. Any of your thoughts are welcome if I'm missing a company or any personal experiments you guys have done is welcome.

I have a single carbon barrel that was on a rifle I bought here from a LRH member. It is a Proof barrel and I was rather impressed with how well it shot and how easy it is to clean. It's just one example but its my only experience with a carbon barrel.

I have a 338 1:9.3 3 groove from Mike at hells canyon armory. He did a podcast with Cody Rich on rich outdoors recently and talked about his carbon barrels vs the others. He's a great dude and has his stuff dialed. Could not recommend him enough!

I have several Proof barrels.
They are all crazy accurate.
None seem to foul much. I get between 80 to 500 rounds between cleaning depending on chambering and powder choice.
I have one that pressures up early, so after fighting it for 700ish rounds, I pulled it and Proof is going to check it. If it is fine and just slow, I will go back on until it is shot out.
I have 2 Bartleins in the works getting spun up as we speak. One on a rebarrel, one on a new build.

So I've read multiple threads on which carbon barrel to go with, but yet I'm still here asking the question in this time is there really anything these companies are doing better than the other? The ones I have it narrowed down to are carbon six,hells canyon armory mainly because they do a 7 twist or the Bart. Have a steel barrel from them and that's by far my best shooting rifle. The only carbon barrel I have is a proof in a factory savage 28 nosler it was hands down the dirtiest barrel I've ever been around during break in which still isn't complete. Any of your thoughts are welcome if I'm missing a company or any personal experiments you guys have done is welcome.
I've had three proof barrels all clean up very quickly and we're very accurate for me

My Proof is ok, but the Bartlein Carbon seems to have some advantages. Bartlein used to make the barrels for Proof, and Proof just did the carbon. I think since Proof decided to do everything in house, there's been some issues during the learning curve. Some shoot crazy good, the next one just can't be tuned to hold 1/2 MOA. Some have tight spots in the barrels that affect pressure and velocity, if not accuracy. Bartlein doesn't do a straight cut on the steel after the shank like some do. Theirs has a radius more like a normal steel barrel, which adds a little bit of weight, but seems to offer more rigidity and consistency over shot strings.

After trying a Bartlein Carbon once, that's all I even look at anymore. Hard to find a Bartlein that doesn't shoot. They'll do a custom twist and offer good lead times that they actually meet or exceed. And they offer the 400 MOD harder stainless steel that offers 75% - 100% better barrel life. For $200 extra, I won't walk away from that. Talk to Mark @ Bartlein.

The proof is in the pudding: Proof Research is #1: This comclusion is based on the above & numerous 3rd party reviews. I decided on my first Proof CF barrel after seeing them work and hear their kudos at the range. I was very impressed with my first Proof barrel's accuracy. So I'm more than satisfied to stay with Proof barrels 😊👍👍

From a financial standpoint I would go with bartlein just because they have their improved steel mod400 stuff. Carbon barrels are expensive, load development is expensive, gunsmithing is expensive... I know the others are great, but a bartlein is a bartlein and they know their stuff. I think that carbon six does a good job though. They chambered with my reamer and cut one for me for a tikka very recently and headspacing was perfect, chamber is a 'beut, and load development is looking very promising at the earliest stages.

I ve had 3 Proof Carbon Barrels. 2 of them shoot very good no issues, and one that has a cold bore POI change that is much worse than the other 2 but it shoots well after its warmed up.
I also have a Benchmark Carbon that shoots very good. Have not tried the Bartlein but all the reports I've seen they are very good as well.

Painless300 reminds me of one other thing that I like about the Bartlein - it's POI shift from cold to warm and back, is relatively nonexistent. That's even with my hotrod 7 Allen Mag blasting through with 107 gr of powder. This is a big deal for me. Basically you're getting more steel in the barrel and a little more weight. All depends on your priorities.

Painless300 reminds me of one other thing that I like about the Bartlein - it's POI shift from cold to warm and back, is relatively nonexistent. That's even with my hotrod 7 Allen Mag blasting through with 107 gr of powder. This is a big deal for me. Basically you're getting more steel in the barrel and a little more weight. All depends on your priorities.
Northkill is definitely correct on more steal in the Barts than Proof. I was able to get some RT data to support the Barts being a thicker liner. The Barts are typically 8-10oz heavier but there is only so much weight willing to sacrifice before i give up some accuracy. My previous 300 Norma built with a Proof sendero was getting warm after 3 shots and would seem to be walking. From a hunting standpoint we all know the cold bore shot is usually the only that matters but when practicing it gets a little annoying having to wait longer between shots.