Carbon barrel shank length

Bravo 4

Question: how long of a steel shank would you want on a carbon barrel with a case length of almost 3.1" and loaded OAL closer to 4.3"? It will be a 33XC, going on a Savage 112 .338 Lapua action, probably no nut. Got a new reamer sitting here burning a hole in my pocket. This will be barrel #2, bit of a story but I won't bore you with the details.😁

You don't want to cringe typing out the details again!!!

You going carbon to keep it light enough to hunt with?

my preference would be something in the palma contours. 1.250 x 5.0 shank. always liked the look of a heavy shank and my experience it held pressure better. I have done a couple small shank savages on a shoulder in rum cases and reached velocities I couldn't get with a nut

I can get a carbon barrel with a 1.2" diameter x 3.5" long shank ordered today and have it in a week, but really hesitant.

I can get a carbon barrel with a 1.2" diameter x 3.5" long shank ordered today and have it in a week, but really hesitant.
that don't leave a lot of shoulder on a large shank barrel.
1.200 -1.125 =.075 divided by 2 =.0375 shoulder
don't believe it would be a problem just very little shoulder against the recoil lug

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts