Canvas tent- help me out.

I have been shopping, unofficially, for a couple years, but it is time to buy. My nylon tent is on its last leg and rather than replace it I want to upgrade. I have seen several that I like, but I am stuck in size. I would like to fit 3 cotsand a stove. If I need to fit 4, we can keep gear in another tent. I don't know if 10x12 is big enough, or if I need 12x12 or 12x14. As you can understand, this is a one time purchase. If I mess up, I live with it till I die.

So help me out. What size do you use? How many hunters? How are they when it's hot? Is there anything to be wary of?
Nylon is hot. But you can cool it off well enough and the bug screens work.
I am looking for doors on two sides, windows on one (some do one, some do both), with a chimney hole and zipper big screens. 10x10 up to 12x14
Get two, sleeping quarters and cooking quarters. 12x14 with a fly between to put water and coolers and a place to put your shoes when filthy. Ala a breezeway. What we used for elk hunting with a Woodstock in each.

Davis tent
Best tents IMO
10x10 2 man
10x12 3 man
12x14 4-5 man
14x20 6 man plus
All with stoves
They can add options or customize what you need.
Also have rain/ snow flys that cover top of tent and can have extra added to the front or back to give more protection.

Get two, sleeping quarters and cooking quarters. 12x14 with a fly between to put water and coolers and a place to put your shoes when filthy. Ala a breezeway. What we used for elk hunting with a Woodstock in each.
In a wall tent seems like never have enough room and you can dry clothes out on wet days in one tent without cooking yourself to.

Schnyd112:

Your question about wind is a very good one. I was just up at Knott Creek Reservoir, south of Denio, with a party of 5 guys. One guy had brought a 12X10 Cabela's nylon tent he was very proud of because of all the stuff he could put inside. (we were camping out of trucks.)

A wind came up the 4th day that ate his tent. Kinked 3 of the 6 aluminum poles so the tent was unusable. It also ate a popup we had with us -- just bent the poles beyond future use.

Wind is our nemesis in NV. Canvas is not as convenient until you get a big wind. Then you'll be happy with it.

I have been shopping, unofficially, for a couple years, but it is time to buy. My nylon tent is on its last leg and rather than replace it I want to upgrade. I have seen several that I like, but I am stuck in size. I would like to fit 3 cotsand a stove. If I need to fit 4, we can keep gear in another tent. I don't know if 10x12 is big enough, or if I need 12x12 or 12x14. As you can understand, this is a one time purchase. If I mess up, I live with it till I die.

So help me out. What size do you use? How many hunters? How are they when it's hot? Is there anything to be wary of?
Nylon is hot. But you can cool it off well enough and the bug screens work.
I am looking for doors on two sides, windows on one (some do one, some do both), with a chimney hole and zipper big screens. 10x10 up to 12x14
I had a 12x12 canvas - NEVER AGAIN! Slept four with gear, tight but doable till we had snow fall on us. Three night trip ended up being 4 just to get the tent down. Canvas froze up solid! once wet and freezing, it is a nightmare, and if you heat a canvas tent in cold weather, the heat will condensate on canvas, freeze, same effect. We had to literally smack the sides of the tent with 4" tree branches to try and fold it up to leave. Also, weighted a ton!

If a 12x12 is your biggest preferred option, I'd go with it. Won't be much more in cost or weight but it will be in additional size. I've had a 12x17 Montana canvas wall tent for many years. I hunt from it all thru November in Northern(UP) Michigan thru heavy winds, deep snow and very cold temps. They heat well with wood stoves, carry snow and handle wind. One thing you want is enough room for your essential tent gear( stove, cots, tables, gear and your entrance is your boot footwear area. That must stay inside. Also room to hang wet clothing to dry and not drip water on all your dry gear. I'd get the 12x12 definitely. Comfort is Paramount when you need a place to recoup. I use straw under a full size 12x17 carpet piece w/stove cut out. Keeps heat in and can walk on it comfortably. 12x12 is perfect for 3/4 guys. 3 with more gear. Good luck.

I've got a Kodiak canvas 10'14' flex bow tent. Really easy to set up. Easily big enough for 4 cots. Best with 2 and a table and chairs though...
I have the same setup except I sewed stove jack into mine for heat which my wife and daughter love. I live in NW Wyoming where the winds do get sketchy at times and my setup has withstood them everytime. Setup is so simple and takes no time at all

Last edited:
OK, for us normal size Yeti's, where my cot is 90x40 (yes that is a correct dimension!), and the other slightly smaller Yeti's in my group made a 10x12 seemed real tight with wood stove. My boots are size 164E so they take up one corner of the tent alone! 😂 You really have to take into consideration the size of the people that will occupy the tent as well. Personally I wished I had bought the 12x14 or even a 12x17 and it would have been SOOOO much better for the added space for drying gear, boots, general gear that you want in the tent. I also use those plastic Plano shelving units that use the tubes and buy 3 and make into 2 tall units. You can stash a ton of gear on them off the floor in relatively smaller spaces. Go up and tear down real easy as well. Wash off easy. The real question will you have enough space for cots, gear, table, small stools and maybe some firewood. Then do you have enough space to actually move about without tripping over everything. My perspective is the tent should have enough space so you are comfortable and provide the rest and relaxation after a hard day of hunting.

I had to tear my down last year in a monster snowstorm bugout and it was a mess trying to clean off the canvas enough to pack up into large totes. But at the end of the day it is tough and held up fine to the heavy snow that we were in.

I have the same setup except I sewed stove jack into mine for heat which my wife and daughter love. I live in NW Wyoming where the winds do get sketchy at times and my setup has withstood them everytime. Setup is so simple and takes no time at all
Best part of the tent is the easy set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.