Canvas tent- help me out.

Schnyd112

I have been shopping, unofficially, for a couple years, but it is time to buy. My nylon tent is on its last leg and rather than replace it I want to upgrade. I have seen several that I like, but I am stuck in size. I would like to fit 3 cotsand a stove. If I need to fit 4, we can keep gear in another tent. I don't know if 10x12 is big enough, or if I need 12x12 or 12x14. As you can understand, this is a one time purchase. If I mess up, I live with it till I die.

So help me out. What size do you use? How many hunters? How are they when it's hot? Is there anything to be wary of?
Nylon is hot. But you can cool it off well enough and the bug screens work.
I am looking for doors on two sides, windows on one (some do one, some do both), with a chimney hole and zipper big screens. 10x10 up to 12x14

I have stayed in a 10x10 with three people and wood stove comfortably. If you were to add a fourth I would go 12x12 but you can fit them in the 10x10.

I have stayed in a 10x10 with three people and wood stove comfortably. If you were to add a fourth I would go 12x12 but you can fit them in the 10x10.

so I have been in a 10x10 but only with 2 guys. I felt we had plenty of room and could easily fit another guy. Then I started asking around to guys I know that said 10x12 is a must for 3 guys, especially if it's cold.

I like the idea of 12x10 but the only place I have ever seen one was set up in a store. I didn't have to set it up, I didn't have any gear and I didn't have any stinky roommates.

I've got a Kodiak canvas 10'14' flex bow tent. Really easy to set up. Easily big enough for 4 cots. Best with 2 and a table and chairs though...

Has it been in the wind? We have had to park trucks in front of 4-man nylon ones to keep them from breaking poles. We upgraded to aluminum poles but they don't stay warm and they don't offer much protection from the wet unless you can dry things out. I can only imagine canvas on flex poles would be worse in that situation

I've stayed alot in the mountains in a 10x12 with 3 people and a stove its about right any more with a stove and your gonna be stumling over each other and your gear especially if the weather is bad.

The one time I slept 3 in my 9x12 without a stove I thought it was on the cozy side. I mostly use my 16x20 now. And it's amazing. There is room for a yoga class if a guy is so inclined. If we only have 3 or 4 guys we go with my dads 15x15 and it works well. I think going in the truck most of the time the 12x14 is what I would get if your options. I personally would stay away from windows and screens also. But that's just me. Windows leak and screens just get in the way and bugs find their way in regardless.

Has it been in the wind? We have had to park trucks in front of 4-man nylon ones to keep them from breaking poles. We upgraded to aluminum poles but they don't stay warm and they don't offer much protection from the wet unless you can dry things out. I can only imagine canvas on flex poles would be worse in that situation
Yes. Has handles some pretty big gusts. Woke up to a larger than expected snow storm one year that dumped nearly 12" on it. Roof handled it....

The one time I slept 3 in my 9x12 without a stove I thought it was on the cozy side. I mostly use my 16x20 now. And it's amazing. There is room for a yoga class if a guy is so inclined. If we only have 3 or 4 guys we go with my dads 15x15 and it works well. I think going in the truck most of the time the 12x14 is what I would get if your options. I personally would stay away from windows and screens also. But that's just me. Windows leak and screens just get in the way and bugs find their way in regardless.

have you stayed with the same brand?

Yes. Has handles some pretty big gusts. Woke up to a larger than expected snow storm one year that dumped nearly 12" on it. Roof handled it....

what is it? definitely interested.

I have been shopping, unofficially, for a couple years, but it is time to buy. My nylon tent is on its last leg and rather than replace it I want to upgrade. I have seen several that I like, but I am stuck in size. I would like to fit 3 cotsand a stove. If I need to fit 4, we can keep gear in another tent. I don't know if 10x12 is big enough, or if I need 12x12 or 12x14. As you can understand, this is a one time purchase. If I mess up, I live with it till I die.

So help me out. What size do you use? How many hunters? How are they when it's hot? Is there anything to be wary of?
Nylon is hot. But you can cool it off well enough and the bug screens work.
I am looking for doors on two sides, windows on one (some do one, some do both), with a chimney hole and zipper big screens. 10x10 up to 12x14
I bought a 12x16 made by the Eureka tent co. in the early 70s for Quebec fishing trips with 6 people.
Even when there were less than 6 the extra room was nice to have. It is still in very good condition after all these years due to being stored clean and dry in a dry location.

Mine big tent is a Salem Tent Awning. I don't remember what the smaller one is. My dad bought it for me 11 or 12 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.