canted base for mil/mil scope?

rocknwell

I saw an old thread somewhere on here where this question was asked. it was over a year old so I thought i'd bring it up again. I just bought a mil/mil scope. i have not seen a "mil-canted" base. they are all in 20 or 30 MOA. is it bad to use a 20 MOA rail base on a mil/mil scope? initially i'm shooting out to only 500 or 600 yards with my -06. do I even need a canted base for these distances?

btw, going to be using PST 4-16x50 in mil/mil

I saw an old thread somewhere on here where this question was asked. it was over a year old so I thought i'd bring it up again. I just bought a mil/mil scope. i have not seen a "mil-canted" base. they are all in 20 or 30 MOA. is it bad to use a 20 MOA rail base on a mil/mil scope? initially i'm shooting out to only 500 or 600 yards with my -06. do I even need a canted base for these distances?

btw, going to be using PST 4-16x50 in mil/mil

It's OK that the base is angled in MOA - that just gives you an idea of how much scope elevation adjustment you're "buying" with it. The basic premise is that the base is angled so that when you zero the scope for, say, 100 yards, you'll have 20 MOA more upward elevation adjustment in the scope itself, which will allow you to dial in elevation for long range shooting. If you'll be shooting to 600 yards, you will not need an angled base (unless your scope is extremely limited in elevation adjutment, which is not likely).

Ok, thank you for your help. I doubt i'll ever really try shooting beyond 600 yards with my -06. it just drops too much and looses too much energy it seems to really be sufficient for hunting any farther than that with it. I'll just go with a flat rail. Thanks again

Works fine, you can covert to mils (20MOA/3.6MIL = 5.5MILS). You are buying approx 5.55 Mils USMC measurement in adjustment. This will get you out to 1500 plus with most modern cartridges/scopes. That's a bit of a generalization.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.