Can't sight in gun (not enough scope adjustment)

Cut pieces from soda or beer can and put them between your rail and your action.
Once you have found the correct thickness to hit zero use bedding compound to make it permanent sealing those alu pieces inside.
I did this to have as many clicks as possible available for long range. Only got for clicks down at 200meters since hitting a little high on 100 on game don't really matters.

I would take everything apart and start over double checking everything and may try different rings or bases. To me it would seem either something is way out of spec with the rifle, rings, or scope if you are out of adjustment.

Just throwing this out there. I do not own a Savage, but is the scope base spacing such that you could mount the rail backwards by accident?

What is your ultimate goal for the rifle? If you are planning to shoot 100, 200,300 yards then get flat mount. But if you plan to shoot out further than keep the 20 moa and sight in at 300. Not sure what you mean "out of adjustment" bad windage? Bad clarity? Maybe scope has a problem?

if the rings are on correct and nothing is hitting the scope could be the problem. I have had scopes do that before.

I think the real issue is that according to the mfg it only has 29 moa of elevation. Should've got a 30mm tubed scope. Oh well.

I had this problem a couple of times.Ran out of adjustment,got a higher set of rings and that fixed the problem.Second time was with a grooved receiver Ruger #1.Ran out of windage adjustment.Guy that was at the range told me to reset the scopes zero.Well all be ****.It worked.After resetting the zero,my next shot was only a few inches from the shot where I ran out of adjustment.You can count how many clicks it takes to go from where it stopped to where it stops in the other direction,then go back half way and that is back to zero.An easier way is to put a mirrow over the scope objective.You will see two sets of crosshairs.Turn the turrets until the two line up to each other and it will look like one crosshair.This will then give you back your adjustment.

Burris Z rings WITH THE INSERTS are the only way to go. Been there done that with just a rail still has bottom out issue. Save your self alot of range time , ammo and frustration. You might see you could be off left to right and not enough windage after you put on the rail.
Burris Z rings will solve that issue too. They are $60.00 at most for a set. Marty

I have a Savage LRH 6.5-284 with a Meopta MeoPro scope using weaver 20moa base and weaver tactical low rings. The scope is only a 1" tube. At 100 yards it shoots 6" high and the scope is out of adjustment.

Would going to a 0 moa base get it low enough to sight in? Not really sure what other options I have except changing scopes...

Taylor, my question is why are you zeroing at 100 yards? If this is a dedicated long range rifle why not zero at 400 or 500 yards?
going with a standard or 0 MOA offset would give you all the adjustment you need for a 100 yard zeroing. then you loose 20 MAO for the long shots. so again I ask, why zero at 100 yards when this is a long range gun? zeroing at 400 or 500 yards would be better for a long range gun.
All my 1,000 yard+ guns have a zero of 500 yards and a 20 MOA offset base. 338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag.
My 25-06 (goat gun) has a zero of 400 yards.(average shot here in Nevada)
My 270 WSM's are zeroed at 300 yards
My 270 Wins are zeroed at 100 (pack rifle) and 300 yards (prairie rifle)
My 375 H&H 100 yards (2.5X scope)
My 444 Marlins are zeroed at 50 (open sights/brush) and 100 yards (2X scope).

Last edited:
Taylor, my question is why are you zeroing at 100 yards? If this is a dedicated long range rifle why not zero at 400 or 500 yards?
going with a standard or 0 MOA offset would give you all the adjustment you need for a 100 yard zeroing. then you loose 20 MAO for the long shots. so again I ask, why zero at 100 yards when this is a long range gun? zeroing at 400 or 500 yards would be better for a long range gun.
All my 1,000 yard+ guns have a zero of 500 yards and a 20 MOA offset base. 338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag.
My 25-06 (goat gun) has a zero of 400 yards.(average shot here in Nevada)
My 270 WSM's are zeroed at 300 yards
My 270 Wins are zeroed at 100 (pack rifle) and 300 yards (prairie rifle)
My 375 H&H 100 yards (2.5X scope)
My 444 Marlins are zeroed at 50 (open sights/brush) and 100 yards (2X scope).

That seems like a disaster or at least a clean whiff just waiting to happen. Maybe two a short and long range zero, but 5 zeros?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.