Can't make up my mind

Gary Morgan

I have an early model Sendero in 7mm Rum, and the barrel has just about been used up. I'm trying to decide what chamber to put in a new barrel for this rig.

With the magnum bolt face, that eliminates a lot of chamberings and directs my attention in a certain direction.

I want this gun to be an accurate long range rifle for deer, but I'm not going to shoot past about 800 yards.

I've already got 7mm RUM and 300 Win Mag dies, but buying a new set of dies won't deter me either.

What do you gentlemen or ladies suggest that I do?

Thanks for you input.

I think the 300 rum is a great caliber but i don't think it will do that much more than the 7 rum if your max range is 800 yards,i say stick with the 7mm rum if you already have dies and brass.

I have become very fond of the 7mm / 300 win mag with a 1 in 9 twist 28" barrel. Seems to be a great case capacity for a 7mm with a 180 gr bullet. Not too small and not too big.

I use my 300 win redding bushing dies and simply change bushings.

Jeff gun)gun)

Since you're staying within 800 yds and you already have the mag boltface you could go with any of the WSMs, the Remington SAUMs, the .264/ 7mm/ 300 Mag, or you could stick with the RUM case.

Since you only mentioned deer (no Elk or Moose) of that group I'd go with the 7mm WSM or SAUM, plenty of pop out to 800 yds with excellent high B.C. bullet selection. Plus relatively tame recoil, with fair barrel life.

Chris

A new 7 RUM would be the easy way to go because you already have every thing you need
But the 300RUM could only add to the equation because of a broad range of bullets and ammo.

The 300 will do about the same in the trajectory area but have an advantage in energy
because of bigger bullets. also they can be loaded down or lower level ammo can be
bought for the 300.

MY order of the build would be the 7 RUM first and the 300 RUM next because eather will
work in your rifle with minimum effort and cost.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks so much, guys, for the suggestions. They all sound good to me.
When I bought the 7mm RUM, I was looking for a 300 RUM, but they didn't have one in stock, so I bought the 7MM. That makes the 300 RUM look interesting to me, since that's what I wanted in the first place.

Also, since I'm a benchrest shooter, prairie dog hunter and do a lot of reloading, the 7MM/300 Win. sounds interesting also. How much difference, if any, is there between the 7mm/300 Win and the 7MM STW?

Also the 7MM RSAUM sounds interesting because I have a set of dies that I bought to reload for a client of mine.

One thing I want to throw out is that I've never reloaded much at all for a belted case, just a few 300 Wins for my son. I don't really know what I'm doing with a belted mag.

Keep the thoughts coming, please.

the 7MM/300 Win. sounds interesting also. How much difference, if any, is there between the 7mm/300 Win and the 7MM STW?.

Here is a link to my 7mm/300 win you may find interesting. Also if you like good brass you can get RWS for the 300 win and do a simple neck down to 7mm.

I would not own a rifle I could not get good brass for. Once I have it formed and perfect I hate to toss it after just a few firings.

The 7mm/300win link.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/anyone-own-7mm-300-win-mag-51404/

Jeff

7mm stw is based on the 8mm rem mag necked down,i think it is a slightly longer case than the winny mag.

I have an early model Sendero in 7mm Rum, and the barrel has just about been used up. I'm trying to decide what chamber to put in a new barrel for this rig.

With the magnum bolt face, that eliminates a lot of chamberings and directs my attention in a certain direction.

I want this gun to be an accurate long range rifle for deer, but I'm not going to shoot past about 800 yards.

I've already got 7mm RUM and 300 Win Mag dies, but buying a new set of dies won't deter me either.

What do you gentlemen or ladies suggest that I do?

Thanks for you input.
i have a new BERGARRA .300 Win Mag bbl, 26" SS, 1-10 twist, varmint contour I'd make you a deal on. I have used several of these BERGARRA bbl's to build rifle's with and they are fantastic. They are pre threaded and chambered and install/headspace like a savage so you can do it yourself.
AND did I mention, they SHOOT ? Let me know if your interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.