Can't get barrel off of rem 700 action

JimFromTN

This is my first time trying to remove a barrel so I can install a remage barrel. I have installed remage barrels but have never had to removed a factory barrel. I bought a cheap rem 700 in 243 on clearance from wally world. Its never been fired. I bought a wheeler action wrench and barrel vise. I degreased the barrel and I used rosin on the wood blocks. I crank down the barrel vise and at first it won't budge but eventually the barrel starts to turn in the vise. Am I doing something wrong? I am not opposed to purchasing another barrel vise so if there is a much better one out there, please let me know. I am not sure that I am so impressed with the wheeler vise. I have also seen where some people use hydraulic presses. Is that better than a barrel vise?

Crank the barrel vice down with a breaker bar, then dead blow on wheeler wrench. I actually had to ditch the dead blow and grab a 4 lbs sledge to get a 70s model 70 off. Just removed a late 90s Ruger last week and it came off first tap with the dead blow. Oh, heating it helps as well.

Assume you want to keep the barrel?

If not, stick the action wrench with the receiver mounted in a stout bench vise.
Pipe wrench on the barrel- guaranteed, it ain't gonna slip. It'll be trash afterwards, but if that was the plan anyway...

Hydraulic press is always a good option if you have one.
Bushings, or wood blocks in your case- need to be fitted to the taper of the barrel shank, the idea is maximum/complete surface contact.

Cheater pipes- make sure your ratchet/socket or wrench is up to the task.

The Brownell's vise /bushings is commercial grade, short of making your own a good value.

The wheeler vise I had is now behind the shed in the metal pile. Buy a Farell vise. Also squirt some oil inside the reciever and get on it with a propane torch. When the oil is smoking heavily or starts on fire you are at 450 degrees which is what it takes to break down loctite. Let it cool some and get on it with a good action wrench and it will come off. You will need to get a wire brush inside on the threads to clean all the old loctite out. Any good solvent.

The last 700 I bought from Wally World (just a couple of months ago) the barrel was so tight that I bent my Davidson action wrench! I bet I have removed a 100 or so barrels and NEVER had one on that tight! I thought I might have tweaked the action but that was not the case.
I did heat the action a little but I think next time, I am going to put some Kroil on the threads and let it soak over night before I try and remove another one.

Worst case is you can use a saw or Dremel to cut into the recoil lug or near the shoulder of the barrel to relieve pressure. Glad it didn't come to that, always nerve racking cutting that close to the part you're trying to keep.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.