cant find stock for Mauser 96

Topshelfbv

I have a Mauser Werke M96 30-06 and I love this rifle. The Action is unique, but i am a fan of the "newer" style of stocks ie: thumbhole, or tactical AR style stocks. i have tried to find someone that offers an aftermarket stock for this rifle and cant seem to find anything. Any suggestions? i have tried boyds... no go.

Sorry, wrong post. There are manufacturers who will inlet a stock if you send them your stock for a template.
Probably ought to read the original post a bit more closely. He doesn't like the style of the stock that he has now, so why would he want to use it as a template? He wants a thumbhole, or a 'tactical style'. He has tried Boyds, which says to me he'd like something "drop-in". Real stock makers cost many $$$$$$$, whether they work with wood or synthetic materials.

Probably ought to read the original post a bit more closely. He doesn't like the style of the stock that he has now, so why would he want to use it as a template?

You can use the inletting on his stock for a template on any style stock. I don't believe he will find a drop in for that rifle......do you?

You can use the inletting on his stock for a template on any style stock. I don't believe he will find a drop in for that rifle......do you?
No, I do not. It could be pre-inletted on a duplicator, but that only gets you to where you still have to hand fit metal to wood. After that, you'd be shaping, basically by hand, as installing a different pattern for the shape probably wouldn't be feasible. It'd take a mighty special set-up to do it all on a duplicator. Stock patterns used on a duplicator usually don't match up where you can use the inletting of one and the shape of another. I can tie-up 15-30hrs. shaping by hand, and I've done it (shaped stocks by hand from a blank) more than just a few times. A CNC machine made stock? No. Just the cost of programing would be above and beyond. I'm afraid what he has is what he's got. No options that I'm aware of.

What he said..^

I've made a few tactical style stocks and inletted them for some really odd actions in the past. The only way to accomplish what the OP is after, is to make the stock, then inlet by hand. When I am commissioned to do this type of work, I generally work on an hourly labor rate. It's the only fair way for both the customer and the stock maker. The down side is that the finished product generally costs way more that what the barreled action is worth, therefore most just compromise and use that they already have.
Everything is possible, it just depends on how much money you want to spend to see your vision turn to reality.

Being one that likes to travel the road less traveled I understand the OPs position. The only option I can think of is LongRifles Inc. Call them first of course but, this is how it works.

You buy your stock, McM, Manners etc WITHOUT any inlet. Chad generates a 3D model from the dimension of your barrled action & CNC inlets your new stock based on exact dimension of your action. This isn't exactly cheap, the inletting with SS pillars & his bedding will run you $750, without paint. On the upside, you get an exact CNC inlet, not a "drop in". You get a very high quality bedding job that is as perfectly even (thickness) as can be done.

Here are some pics of the process he did for me on a Rem 700 & McM A-5. This stock was pre-inletted, Chad filled'er back up with his blend of epoxy & started all over....

6-284 CNC Diagram.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

6-284 Bedding.JPG

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts