Can't decide which caliber

Sorry guys I would have to go with the 7rm. Less powder, cheaper brass and a 180 berger at 2900 will knock down anything you hunt. Mine's a sendero sfII that shoot's in the .2's consistently.

I might try the old 300 win.

Push the 200 AB to 2950. Not light speed like the Ultra but still pretty fast.

Recoil is way down.

The Lapua brass is amazing.....something the Ultra can't have.
Hard to go back once you try this stuff!

Good luck!

I've shot a couple 300 RUM's and I do not care for their recoil - in a word, they are mean. My brother has a 300 RUM and hates shooting it from the bench, he just dropped it off at his gun smith for a recoil brake. Now he will have to keep ear plugs handy when in the field.

Based upon my 20+ yrs of success with the 300 WBY I will stop there - thank you. I use the 180 gr Sierra SPBT for mule deer loaded to 3250 fps. For Elk I use the 200 gr Nosler PT loaded to 3000 fps.

For me, my person maximum range is 500 yds and the interesting thing is that the only 500 yd shots I have ever attempted came my way when I was carrying my 7mm Rem Mag. One shot was with a Sierra 160 gr SPBT and the other was with a 145 gr Speer SPBT. Both were heart shots.

Should I ever decide I need more gun, I will go with a 338-378 WBY on a Weatherby Accu-mark - WITH A MUZZLE BRAKE. My hope is that the brake will bring the recoil down to 300 WBY levels.

My biggest challenge would be finding one that is left handed. ;)

Looks like everbody likes the 300 Rum.

Does anybody have one in a 700 SPS model and if you do how is the recoil?

I started with a SPS two years ago. IMHO that gun was a piece of crap (sorry but it was!)

I'm no expert but I do believe that remingtons quality control seems to be slipping on the lower end models.

i would say that you should try and find a used sendero, it will be well worth the extra money.

I love the 7 mag. I own a rem 700 pss in 7 mag and many, many critters have fallen to that bad boy. I shoot a 168 gr berger bullet and killed a deer at 721 yds and a cow elk at 814 this year with no problem at all. I vote the 7 mag, it's cheaper and will do everything that you want it to do. just my opinion though.

My 300Wby has the Accubrake on it. My 200 grain load at 3100 kicks about like a 243 in a sporter weight rifle. Just enough I can't spot my own hits at 500 yards reliably.

I have shot the 338-378 Accumark and it kicks about like a 30-06 with 150 grain bullets. They only come with the brake.

I shoot 180gr. Scirrocco's out of my 300RUM on top of 98gr. of Retumbo.Same combo on everything,Groundhogs to Deer (my record is 526yd Groundhog)
6687Guns_054.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.