Can't decide on a rifle

Which gun

• Police LTR

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 5r Gen 2

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters
It sounds like the 5R would be a good choice for your target rifle, and you could use it in the mean time as a hunter. Just look at some for the saddle style carrying systems for heavier rifles. Then you could slap on a Criterion barrel for hunting. I'd go with a 24" barrel in the contour that you'd like on a hunter. Depending on your ammo the trajectories would closely match up.

That's actually why I want a 20" target gun. Same trajectory if I tweak handloads to match muzzle velocities and same bc on the bullets. The 5r seems like the winner.

Look at the 700P rifles, HS stock 40X trigger and usually very accurate out of the box and as a bonus they can be had for around $800. Only limitation is cartridge selection but you already like the .308 so...

The purpose of rebarreling your current or old rifle is simple, it saves money and gets you a top notch rifle. If you order a new custom from any smith it's going to be $2,000+ and a new Remington 5R is $1000 and comes with a crappy trigger. So you have to drop another $150-200 on a trigger. So you're $1200 into a factory rifle that's either going to be a good one or a bad one. Or you pay $800 for the new barrel and the smith to true your action and install the barrel, buy a $200-300 stock, and a $150-200 trigger. Heck he could even skip the $200-300 charge to true the action and just have a new barrel installed. I have a couple Remingtons that weren't 100% trued up and just rebarreled with Bartlein barrels and they shoot 3/8" groups consistently.

At the max he's in it $1300 but will have a semi custom rifle with the same quality stock that comes on the Remington 5R and a good 2-3lb trigger from Timney or TriggerTech. I guarantee it will be less picky, easier to clean, and shoot better and be more consistent than the factory barrel too. There's no point in having an old rifle sit around taking up space when you can build off of it and make it better. The old gun is useless to me if it doesn't shoot good or isn't some kind of heirloom or masterpiece.
Thanks Jud it's a good answer for re barreling. I'm all for it on a quality expensive rifle and have RE BARRELED TWO. What I don't get is new barrel, new stock, new trigger, gunsmith expense for what? The sake of saving 300.00 on a well used ( nearly used up) Remington 700 action? This is where I struggle.

Does anyone know if the 20" and 24" 5r gen 2 rifles have the same stock? I know the police ltr has a different forend and is lighter. The pictures make them look a little different but I can't quite tell

Thanks Jud it's a good answer for re barreling. I'm all for it on a quality expensive rifle and have RE BARRELED TWO. What I don't get is new barrel, new stock, new trigger, gunsmith expense for what? The sake of saving 300.00 on a well used ( nearly used up) Remington 700 action? This is where I struggle.
Used up action? If it's not broke in half, then it's not used up haha.

Does anyone know if the 20" and 24" 5r gen 2 rifles have the same stock? I know the police ltr has a different forend and is lighter. The pictures make them look a little different but I can't quite tell

All 5R's have the same H&S stock. Green Gen1, tan on Gen2. It will have a longer fore end section and a palm swell grip, which I and many others do not prefer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.