Can't decide. 338 Lapua or 338 Edge

i must admit that i am having some of the same struggles. i currently have an edge, running a 30" ABS carbon barrel on a Phoenix action with a seekins DBM.
accuracy is amazing at distance. But, i am in the same boat with putting a bullet deep into powder capacity and when the bergers or heavy hornadys come out, it would be nice to run a shorter fatter case with a repeater. i believe the AX or improved Lapua is the way to go. i don't know how long it would take to spin on and chamber an AX from kirby and how much he charges to form brass either. does anyone know if the AX is any more finicky than the Edge? thank you for any info
greg

I don't know that the 338AX is finicky. Haven't heard that it is. A search here will reveal some pretty good extended range shooting with minimal load development by Kirby. Kirby is typically using 100-102g Retumbo, if I recall correctly, with the 300SMK and getting anywhere from mid to upper 2900's to 3050+ fps with 30" barrels and good brass life. Might call Phoenix re your action and using the Lap brass. I believe he reccomended their .750 bolt for the 338 Lapua chamberings if I went with their action.

When I ordered the action, I had the lapua in mind and had it built with a .750" bolt. Just need to open it up to a larger face when it is time. The extra speed and good brass life is appealing for sure.

I went with the EDGE becuz I"m cheap and not paying $2.25+ a piece of brass for Lapua, period.

The Lapua only outdoes the EDGE if you AI it anyways.

Nothing really wrong with the Rem RUM brass other then a bit of prep work. Its kinda getting ridiculous in price though to, almost $1 a piece.

My 338 EDGE is built off an LSS and is still pretty much a sporter weight rifle. It will shoot the 300g SMK at 2840fps with the 28" HART barrel and hold around 1/2-1 MOA out to 1K.

For the price and performance of the EDGE, I dont think it can be beat to easily.

Just my opinion and its worth what you paid for it.

When I ordered the action, I had the lapua in mind and had it built with a .750" bolt. Just need to open it up to a larger face when it is time. The extra speed and good brass life is appealing for sure.

Your set! Good.

BTW, I picked up 100 pieces of Lap brass from Connecticut Tactical Supply last spring for $175. Someone posted the sale here and it was time to buy in. At that price for high quality out of the box, tough brass, it's hard to beat.
Reloading equipment Not sure they have any more, but at the time he had 4K cases he was trying to get rid of.

Edit: And, someone with a FFL can get Lap brass pretty cheap through Black Hills Shooters Supply for you on a regular basis. I'm hoping to get 2x as much life out of these cases as my Rem brass, which at the prices above, would end up actually being cheaper or equalling that cost of Rem brass, with better quality brass that tougher and doesn't require a bunch of prep.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.