Can't bed a Tikka T3 ????????????

thought I'd post my experience on the old thread in case anyone is still interested.

I just got mine back from a local gunsmith after having it bedded. What he did was bed the recoil lug in the stock first ensuring that there was proper free floating. After that cured he bedded the reciever around the recoil lug and barrel in the stock for the first two inches (where the chamber ends and the rifling begins roughly). He also added bedding compound in the stock for the first few inches to add strength to the stock for use of a bi-pod.

Preliminary testing has shown promise. I have shot a couple nice groups so far.

Was this the plastic factory stock? Or laminated wood stock?

Did he hog out around the recoil lug slot in the stock and then fill in that slot with glass resin, while gluing the lug into the stock?

Let us know if you think the rifle shoots better with the bedding job after you get some more range time?

The stock was the plastic factory stock off of a T 3 lite stainless synthetic LH.
I honestly don't know for sure right now if it was milled out around the recoil lug or not, but I would guess not. I Have only shot about 45 round through it since the job was done and have been having some issues with my scope. The last 200 yard groups were as follows: 3 shots .75", 3shots 1.25", 3shots 1.25": 2 shots .25" 2 shots .25". So... until I can get my scope checked out I won't know for sure, but I do think the rifle is shooting better. I was shooting some fliers prior to the job. My scope seems to have some play in the windage by about .25 MOA or so and I just don't have time to send it in prior to the season... I will just have to limit myself to not mess w/ the windage knob for this season :( oh well, stuff happens. I will talk to the smith some time to see exactly how he did the job.

Here is a T3 Laminate that was pillar bedded. Consistent 1/4 - 1/2 shooter now. 7mm Rem Mag. Yup T3's can be bedded.

_JAY3274.jpg

Nice looking job on the laminated stock.

Reason I asked about plastic stocks is it's hard to find a bedding compound that will stick to these plastic factory stocks.

I think the bedding glass will stick to laminated stocks - no problem.

Thanks for posting guys. I've got a couple T3s with factory plastic stocks, and they're performing pretty well without any bedding job. But the only reason I haven't bedded them is I wasn't quit sure how to go about it with the unique style of Tikka recoil lug in the stock, versus on the barreled action.

that is one nice looking bedding job! I can ask him what he used when I go there again (probably a few weeks though). I will be the first to admit that the bedding job isn't nearly as neat as that one, but as long as it works, I'm happy!

Re: reload receiptfor 270 wsm

Tikka lover
I have a te light in 270 wsm and i use hodg 100 v 65 Gr behind a barnes tsx 110 gr projectile ! mine shoots 1/4 inch groups with out any extra work done to it !!! I think i have a real keeper !

since I have had mine bedded, I have not had time to do any extensive testing. crazy busy lately. My rifle shot pretty good prior to it, but I have had scope troubles and just didn't get around to testing much since hunting season. I will post results when i get them done. good luck.

mdewitt71
Check with britz he had his done and was pretty sure his scope was off but the bedding job was every good ! as for me I am one of the few to not have to do anything to my tikka , out of the box it shot factory at .75 moa and when i reloaded it brought down to .5 or below when i do my job !

you may not even want to mess w/ bedding. they do usually shoot pretty good w/o anything other than a trigger adjustment. DIY.

good luck, mark.

I talked to one of the Beretta/Tikka/Sako? service centers in the U.S. about 6 months ago looking for the torque specs for the action screws. They were very helpful and I asked a lot of questions. I think it was in Montana?
They did mention that a lot of people bed the T3's and A7's and that it makes them even more accurate. If anybody needs their number I can dig it up.

From the point of view of someone that likes to tinker, Tikka T3 rifles can be boringly accurate. You take them out of the box, do a little cleaning and they shoot great groups from day one. I'd be afraid anything I might do would just be messing with success.
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.