Canon 10x30 IS vs. Swarovski EL's

Hired Gun

Canon 10x30 IS vs. Swarovski EL\'s

I was just about to drop $1500+ give or take a couple hundred on a set of Swarovski 8-32's or 8.5x42's when just for fun I thought I would take a peek through a set of Canon 10x30 IS binoculars. Sure the EL's were the best glass in the house but why is it I can read distant store signs and see more detail farther out with greater eye comfort with the $300 Canons? Obviously for my eyes the image stabilization is more important than trick glass. I know they are not water proof or up to severe hunting condition but for fair weather the Canons allow my tired eyes a measurably better view. I still want the EL's for the rough stuff but have a feeling I will spend more time burning up batteries in the Canons. Has anyone else used the Canon image stabilized glasses?

I understand they work equally well from a moving vehicle. I will have to try that once while riding shotgun. I have tried it with regular binoculars and it is not fuctional.

Re: Canon 10x30 IS vs. Swarovski EL\'s

Hired Gun,

I learned my lesson the hard way right up in your neck of the woods, I bought a set of Pentax (» $400) binos several years ago to use in Eastern Oregon. Speaking of tired eyes; Wow after a couple of full days glassing, I was getting splitting headaches. I normally have good vision, but the lesser quality glass caused major eye strain and fatigue. I posted a question recently about the Bushnell Elites and was advised to go with the top-end Euro glass. IMHO, This has proved to be sound advice and well worth the extra investment. I can use the Zeiss binos all day without any noticeable fatigue. As far as glassing from a moving vehicle; I wouldn't risk it for extended periods of time, regardless of the binos, especially if you are over 25 years old.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
I understand they work equally well from a moving vehicle. I will have to try that once while riding shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

this brought back a memory that made me smile...a long time ago in a land far, far away (well, just across the Irish sea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) a pal (piloting a helicopter hovering (at night)a couple of thousand or so feet above the ground) told me to use a pair of image intensified stabilised binos (that were kept in the helicopter) to observe some ground activity. After about 30 seconds use in the wind buffeted helicopter (with my body being shaken about, but my field of view stabilised)I started to feel nauseous....I asked my pal how he managed to use them without feeling sick....he replied "they make us sick too; we don't use them" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

..good luck with using them from a moving vehicle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I only have the use of one hand so I employ the tripod or window mount a lot for my spotting scope. It just doesn't have a wide enough field of view to cover much ground very fast. I had settled on the 8-32 EL's for my hand held scanning uses but since tasting the nectar of another flower I am so confused. If you haven't tried a set of Canon image stabilised glasses lately you really need to see what your missing with the Swarovski's. I couldn't believe it. I have been thinking nice binoculars for a couple years and was ready to buy the EL's but now I just can't get these Canon's out of my head. They are that much better when hand held than anything else I have tried. They allow me to really get a good look at everything I point them at. If they were waterproof and had a lifetime warranty it would be no contest. Right now I'm thinking buy the Canon's right now and get the EL's for backup. Somebody tell me I'm not crazy!

Hired Gun,

I have not tried the Canons, They do make a lot of innovative & quality products though, & technology keeps improving things all the time,
If you like em', go for it, No such thing as too much nice equipment. You're probably not crazy either. Because of my attention to sporting gear; the X now has the place at Sun River & I've got a rat's nest with more storage area than living space.
Dave

Go with the Swarovskis, but have a look at the SLCs as well. The 7x42 very good for woodland and the 10x42 are great for open ground. I have both and wouldnt part with them.

Another make to look at for good optics is Minox or Steiner (Both German) and they are cheaper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hired Gun, My Canon 10X32 should be here Fri. or Sat. I let you know.

Hired Gun: I have both. Hands down you cannot beat the glass in the EL's. They are just great. I did a bunch of searching in some birding forums before I got the Canon IS to see what they said about them. The image stab. really works and it is amazing the detail you can see when you eliminate even the smallest amount of shake. From what I researched the 10x30's were the ones to get vs. the other models unless you needed high power. Their recommendations were right on. For me these are an extra advantage when you are trying to glass something when you are not in a comfortable viewing position such as twisting far around to one side or another. It is hard to hold anything steady in those positions. Even using them to look at targets it is just amazing how much more detail you can see when you push the IS button. The way you operate them is they are just regular binocs until you push and hold the IS button located just forward of the focus button. The IS button is easy to push and hold. That is the only time it is using the IS. Battery life is supposed to be approx. two hours but I haven't had mine long enough to tell you about battery life. I use the IS for a portion of a minute here and there and very rarely use it for long periods. Most places you buy these from have a return policy so you could try them out for a few days and ship them back. I have a feeling you wouldn't send them back, I didn't. There is a $50 factory rebate on them now. Hope this helps, Sam.

Thanks,
I went ahead and ordered them. My local dealer closed up for the holidays so I did a search on nextag.com and ordered them from PC nation with free 3 day frieght for 323.80. Mine will be here Wednesday. We still have a spike tag to fill in December. I can hardly wait to use them in actual field conditions. For now I'n going to try to use them for spotting hit and misses on steel gongs. With regular binoculars if you are right by the shooter I flinch from the report and almost can never catch the misses. It will be interesting to see if this works because if it does it should work on game shooting. Right now we set up a spotting scope well behind the shooter to spot and that works very well. Maybey SlickH will bring his out today for a try.

I still need to pick up a Swarovski range finder and then I can start saving up for the EL's. I believe they are a must have.

I received my Canon's from PC Nation on 11/27/2006 before noon. I ordered them Friday with free 3 day frieght and got them on Monday. Lightning fast service works for me.

They work perfect. Low light performance in well beyond my expectations for a 10x30 set of glasses. I can see things in the dark well beyond when they disapeared from my naked eyes. The color reproduction is very good and the stabilization still allows me to see things in fine detail the Swarovski EL's refuse to give up when hand held. Lesser glasses need not apply.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts