Cannot get barrel clean!!!

Wipe-Out Foam.

Fill the bore with foam, let it sit overnight. Fill it again in the morning, let it sit a couple more hours. Patch it out, done.

-nosualc

This works for me.

Plus: TRASH the BRONZ brush.

Also what I do is use the Wipeout Patch out liquid stuff with the accelerator.

I mix about 50/50 of each, stick a cork in the muzzle, well an ear plug, set the rifle with the muzzle on the floor (note leaks will stain the carpet/hardwood floor etc :roll eyes:).

Let'r set overnight drain and toss and follow with a patch of BoreTec to validate clean. It usually is....clean..

FWIW

Tim, I think you meant KG 12 Big Bore Cleaner, which is the company's copper remover. KG 1 is their Carbon Remover product. I've used them both, and agree they are good products. The reason I prefer Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover is because they are equally effective copper removers, and it's much easier to tell if there's still copper in the bore because the Bore Tech products turn the cleaning patches blue if copper still present in the bore.

KG 12 is yellow, and copper stains the cleaning patches an slightly different shade of yellow, making it difficult to determine when all copper has been removed from the bore.

Yes that is it. Dang it you would thing after all these years I would stop flip flopping the names. Oh well I can not even keep my kids names straight so what do I expect LOL Thanks for the info. Actually I am fairly sure I tested both of those products and while IIRC it was one of those two bore techs that came in second place it was a huge margin. .......

Ok I guess the stuff is on my old laptop but I found my notes about the ones I tested and it was the bore tech and while IIRC they both did show very quick reactions to the bullets in terms of the color of clear liq turning I think it was blue but different shades they seemed to hardly take but a few tenths of a grain off the bullet. At least over the 24hr period and I did not brush the bullets during the times only rinsed and wiped off vigorously. So maybe brushing is needed. I do not know if they have changed the recipe since as this was a few years ago. But as I recall they Bore tech are clear watery and then change to bluish color upon copper to indicate its there.

OK I tried to get my old laptop going but I can not find the **** cord and my ASUS does not fit my Toshiba.

But I did do a google search with my exact search string being: "bore tech cu+2 copper remover reviews" Ironically the very first hit in the list was of all things a test of it versus the KG12. What are the chances if that LOL

Here is the link: Copper removal test: Boretech vs. KG-12 - Shooters Forum

Here are some of his pics:

Left to Right:
Bore Tech Cu+2
Bore Tech Eliminator
KG 12 Big Bore Cleaner

Credit to MZ5 of shootersforum
img1572sf.jpg

Credit to MZ5 of shootersforum
img1573xp.jpg

As you can see there is a huge difference in the Kg12 comparatively. Its not even close. The only dif is I used a solid copper bullet that are likley a more pure and higher quality and had them in glass and weighed them every time I took them out. I also used a very precise scale that is accurate to 0.1 mg and why I was able to measure even .001 grain differences. You are correct and this other test clearly shows that KG does not change color. But honestly I will take no color change for something that works that much better. Actually now that I think about it both my be the answer. Use the Bore Tech to let me know if there is copper and also to confirm the KG12 got it all out since it turns blue and neither have ammonia or anything that hurts the barrel and do not stink terribly.

Honestly if KG12 could have a way to add a color reaction to there product I do not think it would have a single weakness.

The way I work it is I run a wet patch down all my barrels at the range and that night when I get home I clean them and I have never takes very long at all. Nothing like the old Butch's Bore Shine days scrubbing and seeing pink elephants floating out of the walls not to mention the head aches afterwards. I was never good about proper ventilation. Hmm and now I can not keep my girls names straight or remember product names....wonder if they are connected.:rolleyes:

I use to use wipe out at the range and then the KG at home if needed but then tried just the wet patch of KG and that is all that was needed and a lot less messy.

Thanks for posting the info Tim. I've use KG 12 extensively in the past for copper removal. I have also used and continue to use KG 1 Carbon Remover.

After my experience with both of those products, I tried Bore Tech Cu+2 and Bore Tech Eliminator in the same barrels that I'd previously cleaned with KG 12. I'd sometimes still get some blue staining indicating additional copper was being removed from my bores.

I still have all four of these products. The ones I primarily use are KG 1, Bore Tech Eliminator, and Bore Tech Cu+2. I value the blue color indicator of the Bore Tech products.

But I agree that KG 12 is a fast and efficient copper removal product. Like you said, an improvement would be a copper color indicator added to the solution.

I had a couple of barrels I had given up on. I used Wipe Out foam cleaner and both came back in line. One took 3 applications, but it still did what none of the other solvents did.

Nothing wrong with Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner if you have time for the longer recommended dwell time in the bore. I don't hesitate to use it when I'm willing to leave it in the bore overnight.

When I'm breaking in a new barrel, I prefer Bore Tech products, so I can monitor the reduction in copper fouling with each shot fired.

I also prefer Bore Tech copper removing products when I don't want to wait overnight. As in new barrel breakin. I'm not going to extend this process for 12 to 25 days waiting with Wipe Out in the bore overnight.

I haven't tried the Wipe Out Accelerator product. It's promoted to shorten the dwell time required for Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner. And they have another product called Patch Out. Haven't tried it either, but I expect both of these to be good copper removal products based on others' reports of use.

Prowrath,

Your welcome and yes that makes sense. Sometimes there is simply not enough copper were it makes any difference so why not go with the one that gives an easier indication. I try hard to cut down on all the producta as I use to be one of those that had 50 different products. I like trying stuff. But its interesting that the only ones I have messed with in the last few yrs has been kg bore tech and wipeout. In terms of power they are in that order but each has different benefits and I can see uses i dif situations.

The OP is seeing copper in the rifling after cleaning, that isn't from any brush.

RemMagnum, if swabbing the barrel with a JB's soaked patch, wrapped around a brush doesn't get it clean, send the barrel back.

When I clean with solvents, I run a wet patch through followed by 10-15 passes with a ProShot Bronze brush. Then run 2 dry patches. And repeat until the brush has made a total of about 300 passes! Still cant get that copper color to go away!

I understood him to be running a bronze brush down a bore coated with copper solvent, and then following up with clean dry patches. He'll continue to get blue patches until all the bronze bristles fall off his bronze brush.

Having trouble with the color indicator from KG 12, Use the KG 12 until you think copper is gone, then run a dry patch or 2 through barrel. then run a wet patch of Sweets or any other copper solvent that will indicate Blue, if there is a blue tint dry it out run a few more KG 12 through it and repeat previous steps. It will be copper free.

Just for my own edification: What form is the KG 12 solvent? Liquid, paste? It seems to be popular in this thread and I'm always up for trying something that works. The idea of using KG and then following up with a blue indicator solvent sounds like a good game plan. I don't use anything but nylon brushes anymore. I figure the solvent should do the work, the brush is just for getting the garbage out after it breaks free, and nylon is pretty impervious to solvents.

May I suggest that you try M98 solvent to clean the barrel? It is a cleaner that removes copper and carbon. It will also clean any oil from the barrel that sometimes require that fouling shot before a group is fired. No other cleaners or removers are required, just M98. It works a bit different from most cleaners that are available but convention is just that, convention. When it makes life difficult, we do unconventional.

tim-w,

You should look at the latest pricing from GSC. We are now competitive with other lathe turned monos and lower in price than two cup and core bullet ranges. This was made possible because of volume of manufacturing and, we figured that no amount of Black Friday discount can compete with a permanent lowering of prices. :)

wow you really dont want to see any copper. I recommend that you just shoot it, make sure the bore is clean with maybe a slight bit of oil and shoot it. all of this incredibly aggressive cleaning is doing your bore more harm than good. If you start to see copper coming out of your barrel while shooting yes you should clean the copper, but other than that just leave the copper in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.