Canjar set triggers

4ked Horn

Why dont I see anything about the use of Canjar set triggers?

It seems to me that this would fit a comb purpose gun quite well. 2 lb trigger for walkin' around and 3 oz set trigger for off the bench right?

Lousy quality or bad customer service the reason?

Is the new trigger on some savage rifles the same type of set up as the Canjar?

Well , You are right! the concept is great.
I have 3 currently fitted to my rifles.
2 of them have gone south during hunting and one very inconveniently. My experience is that I like the set provision quite light and they cannnot maintain this for an extended # of cycles.
My worst experience was in cold weather in Zimbabwe in winter [about 18F]when I experienced sear tripping on closing the bolt vigoriously.[TWICE before the grey matter registered what MIGHT be happening]
The same has happened to me in NZ.
I am no engineer - just a user of the tools and cannot explain what was happening except that the sear surfaces were not stable [too soft?] and the cold weather made fine tolerences quite critical?

Well that is an unfortunate set of occurences.

It would stand to reason that a "set" trigger is , or should be, designed to be set on the light side.

This is a pitty too. I have seen the advertisements for canjar set triggers in gun periodicals since I was a kid and looked forward to putting one on my "dream gun". It did seem strange that they were vacant from any accurate shooting forums or publication worth its weight in paper. Somewhat contradictory?

Anyone else?

I have single set trigger made by canjar on 22Br Rem. Works great in cool to warm weather but in cold weather the set trigger doesn't work.It has a spring in it small as a human hair suppose this doesn't help.Have had this trigger for 25 plus years and it still works.

Canjars

I used Canjars on both my sons and my own highpower Silhouette rifles. Both Fired a untold number of rounds without a hitch so I know they do fine in average warmer climates.
I have run into factory triggers that when set very lite then taken into extreme cold, would not set. Myself, I dont think it is so much that they have problems rather it is that there is enough change in metal dimensions that the light set trigger looses its ability to engage....just resetting to slightly heavier worked in all cases.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.