Canadian Bear bait.

kc

I have an old friend in Northern Ontario who hunts Bear every season and told me about what he makes for bait..he uses a burnd out 50 gallon barrel, has a fire under it (on blocks) boils about a third fresh water adds lots of sugar and two 50lb bags of feeder corn and lets it boil covered with a 4x4 piece of plywood, for a long time. he uses about 30lbs of sugar and it works real good! the corn swells up and it turns into a big candy bar after it cools in 5 gallon pails.

The guide I was in Ontario last fall hung sacks of oats up, and doused the area with grease and molasses. It was a budget hunt and we brought lots of sweets up and tried heating bacon grease over sterno. The baits weren't attended to as much as they should have been before the season, but I did see small bears and my brother did shoot a smaller one. It was a budget trip and our first time, so we learned a lot and will do things differently next time. Weather was uncooperative too. It was pushing 90 our first day in camp and by Friday morning we all had our insulated gear on and broke out the sleeping bags.

I can tell you one thing. Being around that much spoiled grease made me about sick. The only I could eat the 9 hour ride home I shortened from 11 was CheezIts and Powerade.
That was it

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.