Can you get a great scope for lil money?

Log Hog

I have been looking at many scopes over the past few weeks to put on my new 6.5X284. This is my first real long range gun, besides a little bit of shooting I do with my 7MM. I have been getting more involved in the sport of long range target shooting and love it. I have a few Leupold scopes now and was leaning that way because they seem like a good scope for the money. I can spend $2000 or more but does it really make a huge difference? So far I looked at Night Force, Zeiss and US optics. CONFUSED!!! HELP!!!

Besides the price difference, whats the main difference between the VX-3 8.5-25x50 and the MARK 4 8.5-25x50 Leupold?

sniper central, has a good scope review starting place, many models and specs, for your $2000 budget you can get a great scope. Also if you watch for used such as this forum or say SWFA sample list and are patient you can get more scope for your $$. If you are a member of a local club try to look through as many optics as possible, most are very responsive. compare at local dealers also

Besides the price difference, whats the main difference between the VX-3 8.5-25x50 and the MARK 4 8.5-25x50 Leupold?

The MK4 has a thicker tube, comes with the mildot or TMR reticle, can have illumination and FFP models
The VX3 has the same coatings as the MK4, now has the dual erector system like the MK4, and also has about 20 moa more adjustments then the MK4.
You can change the turrets and reticle in the VX3 to match the "plain jane" MK4 for a little less money and have the extra adjustments.

Thanks Bravo4! I was at my buddies sport shop last night and he can get the V-X3 for $850 and the Mark-4 @ around $1300. Think I might go for the V-X3. Its a great price. Plus I'm not out shooting every weekend @ long range shoots. Just want to make sure I can get a good scope for under $2000 but more near the $1000 range if possible?

I was looking @ the NF 12X42X56 bench rest and found it for around $1400. Does that sound like a good price?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.