Can you eat CWD deer

What does Mayo have for a full explanation as to where todays cases in terms of where deer hunters are being exposed to, & coming down with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease? I know these instances are rare & let's keep it that way, I suppose.

I don't believe for a moment that we know all there is to be known about these Prion diseases & honestly am a bit un-nerved when I take the time to think about this & become educated. Especially as a deer hunter that consumes a fair bit of venison.

"Can CWD spread to humans?

It is not yet known. However, an ongoing study points to the fact that macaques (primates that are genetically close to humans) acquired CWD through oral consumption of infected deer meat. This opens the question of whether humans can acquire CWD from eating deer meat. And if so, how will that disease appear in human brain tissue? The National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center, at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, is studying this and collaborating with researchers to learn more.

Several years ago while scouting for my hunt a friend and I saw a Mule deer doe walking in circles.She was gaunt and had lost a bunch of hair and looked sick.
We did not have cell service out there so when we could my friend called Montana Game&Fish and told them about where she was.
He asked if it sounded like CWD and he said yes.
He said they are seeing it more and more.
Veggies are looking pretty good about now!

I had one test positive a couple years ago. DOW asked for the meat so i gave it to them. They advised throwing away all knices and tools thay touched the deer. This was after i told them i quarted it with no contact with spinal fluids. I was bummed to toss my favorite knife. Just an fyi