Can Yankys hunt Australia?

LRSickle

Can a Yanky from the U.S. hunt Australia? I got a hankering to try someplace new. The little woman likes to travel so I thought I'd drag her off on a far off land to hunt. Spain came to mind but then I see the pictures you guy's post of Aus and New Zealand and I'm taken back by the country. Do I have to hire a guide? Or can a guy bebop round at his own leisure hunting at will? Airfare is reasonable from Salt Lake Utah to Sydney. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I have a dynamite place to hunt Whitetail deer in Idaho, U.S. If you can make it to Salt Lake City, Utah, the travel, gas, food and camping is on me.

Can a Yanky from the U.S. hunt Australia? I got a hankering to try someplace new. The little woman likes to travel so I thought I'd drag her off on a far off land to hunt. Spain came to mind but then I see the pictures you guy's post of Aus and New Zealand and I'm taken back by the country. Do I have to hire a guide? Or can a guy bebop round at his own leisure hunting at will? Airfare is reasonable from Salt Lake Utah to Sydney. Any help would be appreciated.

The best bet would be use the services of a guide. Water buffalo is what most yanks come to Aus to hunt,and there are plenty of outfitters capable of putting you onto a good animal....just bring a 375H&H.

As for cruising around hunting at your leisure,thats not really an option because most game is located on private property and getting access - even for locals is difficult.

Good luck.

Red deer are located generally in two main areas of Australia

Soth Australia around Willalooka is one and their is a massive game range called watervalley.
Costs per head are very reasonable compared to other hunts around the world. You can hunt reds, Fallow and Rusa on here... Best times March to July depending on what you want to hunt. Be prepared for a longer shot here and 7mm .270 type rifles are plenty for these lesser species. Open flat country and they are not sitting there loking at you as they have been hunted before.

S/E Queensland is another area for reds but they dont get as big generally a 10 pointer is the best you can get. Vince ash is a top guide I can recommend from reports of my buddies.

For Sambar thats another story.. I stalk and its fairly hard core in some really tough steep country and no one readily guides with any promises. I do know of guides but they are fairly expensive. I'm not sure but this is the hardest species for you to bag.. Some hunters never get one or have never shot a stag. The Victoran High Country has Alpine Natinal Parks you can hunt with proper licences and a modest game licenece fee. If Sambar is your quest March to Late September is the go. I can send you footage and maybe a DVD to give you and understanding of our premium deer spieces. I am currently in the processing of developing our Long Range skills with Top Shot and Ridge runner so we can shoot ridge to ridge as this up and down caper is really tough and you need some real fitness. Walking 5 hours with heavy packs and rifle is about the norm just to get into good areas. Ridge Runner on this forum has a mean 30/378 and 338/378 and I am running an accumark 300 Roy. My last one was shot down hill after a good run in after glassing him, 1/2 an hour before dark. I'm no expert but I do hunt with some of the best Sambar men!

Last edited:
Yes, try JAMIE BELL SAFARIS, Seymor,Vic. Good guy, hunts hard in several different areas. Last ph. number i have is +61 3 5799 1421, also on internet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.