Can someone suggest a good neck turning set-up?

JustC

I have used my RCBS casemaster guage to get an idea of neck thickness variations. I can say that I am not very confident in the accuracy of this set-up,...it seems to leave the case unsupported and "hanging" off of the rod which the neck rests on, while the sleeve drops onto the exterior of the neck with the mic setting on top of the sleeve.

Anyway,......I am interested in cleaning up the necks on my Lapua brass, just to feel certain that I have eliminated any neck issues relating to my 280AI accuracy issues I have been posting in reference to.

What is a good neck turniing set-up that you have used? Is the guage necessary (I would rather have it unless there is just no reason for it). I have been told that the drill method works, but for some reason that doesn't seem like it would be as concentric and supported, but this is just a guess as I haven't done any work with either one.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello

The K&M, Hart and Sinclair are very good and I use all of them for different cartridges.
I have the Forester and it will work for you also, but I prefer the above mentioned ones.

Later
DC

Darrel, thanks. Do you know of a site at which I may look at the K&M and Hart products?

Ask and you shall recieve....

Love my K&M

KandM4.gif.jpg

KandM2.gif.jpg

I understand that these are caliber specific. Is that model pictured the $88 version, or does that item need to have the dial indicator added?

Randy

You do not need the dial indicator, however you will need a case neck micrometer. I have the K&M dial indicator and a sinclair case neck mike(www.sinclairintl.com) and use the mike more often. Dial indicator makes it hard to hold and turn, but you can use it that way. Sinclair has several or Darrel Holland has one much cheaper for $65 www.hollandguns.com.

However recommend that you get a power screw driver with the versa batteries (2 extra) (one lasts 20-35 cases) and the sinclair driver and caseholder set ($44.50) that fits in end of screwdriver. Use FP-10 (sinclair $5)as lube or something similar on mandrel and inside necks. Using a power screwdriver will give you much smoother and cleaner cuts.

Recommend that you recut them after first firing to take off any ridges that pop up. They will be there.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.