Can someone recommend a scope for a .300 RUM

I sold mine after trying several different mounting systems. Could not keep the scope sighted in because of recoil. I used all the correct torque recommendations. I used locktight. Nothing would keep the scope solid. The scope even had slide marks on it from the DNZ system.

Dont buy a Nikon optic that has super clear glass at a frugal price... Ha

I keep going back to mine since it works good in dim light conditions,,, 3 power for wide field of view,,, crank it up to zoom in at distance...

If keeping your funds in check matters that is,,, they come with BDC retical,,, side parallax,,, 42mm low profile in the 3-12,,, and a solid tube for the bumps and grinds in life...

And yes there are better optics than this,,, but the Nikon glass is well worthy of its value...

IMO only that is...

Good luck finding what works...

Just wanted to tell everyone thanks again for all the help . Gives me plenty of choices to decide from. But now i at least have certain models to look through instead of starting with nothing. This is an awesome forum with a ton of helpful people . Thanks again :D

After lurking for quite some time i finally joined up recently so hello to anyone that reads this thread. It seems like a great place with alot of helpful people.
I recently purchased a Remington 700 longe range in a .300 RUM . But now im looking for a good scope to put on it. Ive only used FFP in the past but will be willing to try SFP . Looking for a scope that will handle the recoil and also reach out to 700 or 800 yards plus possibly . Any recommendations are much appreciated .
After trying several scopes on my 300 RUM I've settled on a S&B PMii 3-20x50 Ultra Short with FFP mildot reticle. It's simple, reliable, quick to use, great field of view, and low profile. Optical quality is excellent too.

After lurking for quite some time i finally joined up recently so hello to anyone that reads this thread. It seems like a great place with alot of helpful people.
I recently purchased a Remington 700 longe range in a .300 RUM . But now im looking for a good scope to put on it. Ive only used FFP in the past but will be willing to try SFP . Looking for a scope that will handle the recoil and also reach out to 700 or 800 yards plus possibly . Any recommendations are much appreciated .

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! What's your budget?

Leupold VX 5HD 3-15 19 ounces. I like the 44mm objective. Getting a 300rum to 800 yards doesn't require a lot of dope. The vx5 will cost you ~8-900. It'll handle the recoil just fine. Glass is very clear for its price range. This glass punches well above its weight class

Another note is keep an eye on mounting length. With a long action look at the manufacturers web site for the specifications. Any nightforce is never the wrong advice but my 3-9's are short tubes good for medium actions. For ME I dislike one piece rails or two piece that extend into the action. I put my thumb there to carry, want unobstructed loading and ejection! Just me and my application.

Last edited:
I'd pay close attention to the eye relief of whatever you buy.

That was my first thought, something with enough eye relief to keep that beast away from your eyebrow.

I love my Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5x20. Great reticle options and in your price range. It's not as sexy as NF or S&B, but it's a great scope. Probably better than than the NF SHV that you would have to go with to stay under 1500.

The ss scopes have treated me good. I put the fixed 10x on a 338 lapua years ago and still ding 1800yards with it. For the $ it gets you in the fun. The vortex hst is on my RUM and again iT workes great. Ill buy better glass when the kids are gone but the mentioned scopes have tracked well for me.

I have the same caliber and put a NF SHV in 5-20x56 with lighted reticle. I think it was 1150? I tried a couple different cheaper scope rings and the scope would twist from the torque. Then I stepped up to a 1 piece pic rail with 20moa and HD rings from nightforce also. All in, about $1500 which is your budget as well! All is good now!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.