Can someone check my math?

shooter7

OK so, I feel like this is not nearly as complicated as the Calculus class I passed in high school but I just want a little reassurance before I make a purchase on a decent long range scope. I've been looking at a Leupold 6-18X40AO Target with Fine Cross hairs. It has a 1 inch tube that offers 56 MOA vertical adjustment. This would be going on a 6.5 284 with a 26 inch barrel with a Talley 20MOA base on top. I have not yet been able to chrono my loads ( I think they're a bit hot). JBM calculations says I will need approximately 30 MOA to reach out to 1000 yards at sea level under "default" conditions with a 140gr AMAX (BC of .55) moving at 2825 fps. The velocity is just an estimate. So here's the question, 56 MOA/2= 28MOA. this would be an approximate zero. +20MOA with the base=48. So in theory I would change my POI so I would have 48MOA below my zero and 8 MOA above, right?...... And that would be enough to reach out to 1k in theory?

sounds right...assuming your zero is exactly centered. On my scope, I only have like 10MOA of down adjustment left when zeroed at 200 yards with my 20MOA base, so it's set pretty high. My suggestion is, find your zero, then count clicks to max elevation on your scope, and see how much you have left...That's what I did, though my process will be starting all over when I test my hand loads and find a good one for my rifle

Your combo will be fine quite a bit past 1k, I shoot 6.5x284 in a light gun, I have a 12-42 nightforce, only 40moa adjustment and with a 20moa rail it does fine at 1k. Btw I shoot 139 lapuas at 3020 or 3055 depending on what range I'm going to, the range I use the 3020 at is only 1200 ft above sea level and it only takes 25 and 3/8 moa up from a 100yrd zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.