Can it be? Zeiss has better glass than Swarovski

300 ultra

I just returned home from hunting where I use Swarovski Bino's and I was looking at deer at Grey light with my Swaro's and I could see them but not all that well. So I pulled up my gun with a Zeiss scope on it and it seemed a heck of a lot brighter. Is it because of its a scope or are Zeiss glass really brighter than Swarovski's? If so what are reveiws on Zeiss binoculars?

I just returned home from hunting where I use Swarovski Bino's and I was looking at deer at Grey light with my Swaro's and I could see them but not all that well. So I pulled up my gun with a Zeiss scope on it and it seemed a heck of a lot brighter. Is it because of its a scope or are Zeiss glass really brighter than Swarovski's? If so what are reveiws on Zeiss binoculars?

You're comparing 2 different critters. Gun scopes and Bino's.

Swaro is the better but I refuse to pay the BIG $$$ difference between say a Zeiss Conquest and a Swaro anything.....:)

you shouldn't be surprised, was the swaro a 10x unit?? the exit pupal was likely smaller on your binocular than where your variable was set on the zeiss. if you crank the power down on the rifle scope the exit pupal gets larger and thus the scope is brighter. I have hunted alot with a bushnell 4200, with the scope set to 3x or 6x I can tell you its brighter than my leicas

you shouldn't be surprised, was the swaro a 10x unit?? the exit pupal was likely smaller on your binocular than where your variable was set on the zeiss. if you crank the power down on the rifle scope the exit pupal gets larger and thus the scope is brighter. I have hunted alot with a bushnell 4200, with the scope set to 3x or 6x I can tell you its brighter than my leicas

Ya that was what I was wondering, if it was because I had the scope set at 4x and Binos are 10x42's. It was a lot brighter through the
scope and its my first Zeiss so I was blown away thinking this glass is amazing for bringing in light.

Last edited:
After comparing 10X ELs and a zeiss hensoldt set on 4x to 16x I still have to give the edge to Swarovski binos for seeing animals at late dusk.

You are comparing a 2500.00 bino with a rifle scope? You have ed glass in the binos,
and you are looking through two eyes not one. HD glass is way better than non fluro
glass. Compare a set of non fluro binos. Zeiss, Lieca and Swaro
have traded back and forth for the lead for years.

Loner not sure what you are saying or whether it was directed to me or the OP. Are you saying it is not a fair comparison? I agree for shopping comparisons, but these comparisons happen in the field all the time. You have a deer walk out that you can see with binos, but you cannot see it as clearly in the scope, or in the case of the OP that situation reversed. It is just a natural thing that happens.

I dunno maybe I have problems with my shooting eye, but I can always see better with a pair of good binos than through a rifle scope, even a good scope, is that unusual?

I was talking about your statement. The swaro you have has got fluro lenses. They add
about a grand to anything they are in. I don't know of a riflescope that uses them. It makes for a much brighter view. Not sure why they aren't put in scopes, maybe too
weak for the recoil?

It is tough to compare the 2. Power mag and Obj diameter would need to be the same. Even then, comparing scopes and binos is a tough proposition.

Having said that, your general comment about zeiss possibly being better isn't off track IMO. I think Zeiss glass is better than Swarovski or Leica at least in their binos and HD spotters. I haven't looked through Leica's new spotter series though.

Why do some assume swaro glass is better? Zeiss has excellent glass.They are known for it.

Because Swaro GLASS is better. A fact! I didnt say that Swaro SCOPES were that much if any better...but the GLASS and the stuff they put on ( and in) the glass is.

Ever seen Swarovski crystal for sale? Bet ya never seen ZEISS crystal for sale!!!.....:)

You are talking about apples and oranges. The VMV line is what competes not the Conquest American Line.

TO the OP I have known this for 25 years---have several friends in Germany who all use Zeiss or Leica Binos and all use S&B Scopes go figure. I use Zeiss Binos myself and love them.

How? I didnt make any sort of direct comparison??? All I said was ya cant compare Swaro BINO's...to Zeiss RIFLESCOPES!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts