Can i use the wrong dies?

barnesuser28

I ordered some redding dies from an online store for my 284 win, the neck bushing full length sizer and the seater with the micrometer top, i bought the bushing from sinclair. I ended up getting the redding 3 die set without the micrometer on any of them for a 6.5x284:rolleyes:. the question is can i use the neck bushing and use it in the neck die for the 6.5x284? I think i would be able too but i wanted to be sure first, i would like to neck my brass down before i send the dies back, im not patient.....:D

It depends on the size of the opening leading into the bushing. You can take the die apart and drop a case down from the top to see if it slips down ok or if the part below the bushing holds the case up.

Well there are at least 3 common shoulder angles associated with the 6.5x284(25,35,40). Is yours 35deg like a 284Win?
Where you planning to neck down from 27cal to 26cal with a single bushing? That won't work.

Also, if I sent you the wrong die kit & found that you had used it before returning it, I would toss it in a dumpster and keep your money. You know you should not use it.

mine is a 35* shoulder, i have my 6.5x284 brass already necked up to 7mm, they measure .312 OD right now, i need to size them to .310 OD(i have a 310 bushing).

mine is a 35* shoulder, i have my 6.5x284 brass already necked up to 7mm, they measure .312 OD right now, i need to size them to .310 OD(i have a 310 bushing).

I've got the Redding type S neck for the 6.5x284 now I use it for the 284 beside using the Wilson at the range. I'm using Win and have some Nosler 6.5x284 brass and I use Sinclair expander 7mm die on the necks then using bushing die. My brass may be little thicker than yours as I'm using .311 bushing.

my OD of a loaded case is .313 just what SBruce said it was going to be. I also use the sinclair expander.

my OD of a loaded case is .313 just what SBruce said it was going to be. I also use the sinclair expander.

Mine doesn't like lot of neck tension with the brass I'm using. I got 250rd same lot # on the Win.

I've done the 6x284 and 6.5x284 both tight necks don't ask me why! I also had Win 100 in 284 then I had one build on short action that was 20 plus years ago in fact took pretty nice buck with it.

I ordered or should say gunsmith two 7mm barrel from Lilja build the 284 with first barrel 2nd one did the 280AI and both are good barrels. I've always like the 284 case and glad others are enjoying it also.

Have fun

Thanks, The main reason i went 284 win over 280 rem is it is much easier to buy 6.5x284 Lapua brass and neck up than buy Lapua 30-06 brass and neck down and neck turn.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.