can I make 7mag brass out of 300wm brass?

Hey OP I will send you 50 once fired 7mm Rem Mag no charge, I am in a giving mood I sold my Barrett 50 Cal to a good Christian home and worked out the delema with my friends family so I am in a good place right now. PM me your adress if you want them, Just feel like paying it forward.

Dean
This sort of thing is what makes this forum different. That and you people know what you're talking about :). Also, just have to say "I sold my Barrett 50 cal to a good Christian home" has got
to be the most die hard American thing I've heard in my life (as an onlooking Canadian who is nonetheless a baptist minister and a fan of big guns :) )

This sort of thing is what makes this forum different. That and you people know what you're talking about :). Also, just have to say "I sold my Barrett 50 cal to a good Christian home" has got
to be the most die hard American thing I've heard in my life (as an onlooking Canadian who is nonetheless a baptist minister and a fan of big guns :) )
Believe me I know where you are comming from I am from Montreal myself.

Dean

Hey OP I will send you 50 once fired 7mm Rem Mag no charge, I am in a giving mood I sold my Barrett 50 Cal to a good Christian home and worked out the delema with my friends family so I am in a good place right now. PM me your adress if you want them, Just feel like paying it forward.

Dean
Dean,

You're a good man. You gotta love this forum, and its good peeps.

Ed

Dean
Amen,still REAL MEN and WOMEN out there....

Dean
I have to say that's pretty awesome. Blessings upon you and yours.

The question is just that!

Can I neck it down without a big shoulder bump/blowout problem?

I can find quality 300wm brass but can't find any 7mag brass except PPU brass....

Speaking of which...

What do you guys think of PPU brass?

What's better factory PPU brass or necked down Norma/Nosler brass (300wm-7mag)?
How much 7mm mag brass do you want? I have some that I can either trade or sell to you.

You can size down, without problem. You will need to cut the exterior of the neck for thickness, and trim. Anneal the cases. Fire form, and you are off running. Generally you can get 300WM cases cheaper than others.

You absolutely can reform 300WM brass to 7mmRM. I've gone this route to reduce the initial stretch you get when using virgin 7mmRM brass. The necks have to be turned to reduce the neck thickness since they are formed out of the shoulder of the 300 brass. They will still have the 300WM head stamp though and must be kept separate and identified.

You can size down, without problem. You will need to cut the exterior of the neck for thickness, and trim. Anneal the cases. Fire form, and you are off running. Generally you can get 300WM cases cheaper than others.
I like ppu brass along with norma better than winchester or remington. Depending on how you prep you brass. I think it will last longer.

You don't always have to neck turn, more often than not you can get away with out touching them at least that has been my experience.
I have so many miss marked cases from previous component shortages and necking up and down then throw in some wildcats that I just measure everything.

Dean

PS: They are tumbling as we speak sending out dirty brass would be uncivilized.LOL

Last edited:
Well thanks everyone for all the responses advice and BRASS I am really glad I asked for everyones advice. I have to say this is the best dang forum I've ever been on where people really care and take time out of their day to actually give SOLID advice (not just opinion)

Thanks everyone who said they could send sell trade brass I'm really looking forward to loading for this classic long range caliber.

I think I will try my hand at necking down a few pieces as well even though I'll only most likely use the straight 7mag brass but I'd like to have the experience since many of you say it can be done. That way I'll know how if things ever get worse than they are now 🙄😬

Joel

When I reformed my 300 to 7mmRM I pulled the expander/decapping stem out, reformed and trimmed the brass and then run it through the die again to keep from having to pull the expander through the long neck it creates.

Also be sure to lube the necks well inside as they will be thicker.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts