Can Anyone Name this Cartridge?

jraulsten

Found this on the ranch and just wondering what it is. Old 45 cal rimfire of some sort?????

From what I can recall it was around 1.5" long and base diameter was around .75".

tempImagetglaGT.pngtempImagekZdhn4.pngtempImagexMslm5.png

Any better pictures? Looks like it was struck int he middle of the brass base, not on the rim. Very interesting. Pictures are a little out of focus on my computer.

Any better pictures? Looks like it was struck int he middle of the brass base, not on the rim. Very interesting. Pictures are a little out of focus on my computer.
Those are the only pics I have. I couldn't tell if the mark centered on the base was just the way it was made or an actual puncture mark. Looked almost too perfect to be a strike.......

Maybe a type of inside-primed cartridge?????

Last edited:
Only the third picture was clear & in focus on the case. Not enough info to be gleaned from just that photo. Clear shot @ the headstamp might help. The way the rim is rounded, I'd suspect it was a rimfire cartridge, but that's just a W.A.G.

There were several rimfire cartridges in the 1860-70 era that were in that size range of 41-46cal -- here are a few listed on Wikipedia, but a Google search comes up with several web pages with more detailed info. With your shell casing being so smashed I'm not sure if you could determine which one it actually is

I'm guessing some numb nut thought it was a 45 colt and fired it in a centerfire pistol e en though it's a rimfire, that's my guess on how the dimple in the center got there

Screenshot_20230629_083532_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it can be in the 46 rimfire category. Probably not a pistol cartridge. The rim is approx. .65-.67 diameter and the body is about .58-.60 diameter. The OAL is right at 1.75, so this is a large cartridge. If somebody has dimensions for some of the larger old cartridges maybe we can narrow it down.