Can a Weatherby Accumark be accurized?

I'm not exactly sure what your 30-378 is or isn't doing that's causing you grief but the 338-378 I had didn't like the upper to higher end of the powder range/s for whichever bullet I was using. If I tried to push it very hard the groups were allll over the paper. I personally think those little #3 contour barrels they use are the problem. I think that is way to light weight of barrel for those cannons with the case capacity of the 378 parent case. I think if they came with a Sendero size contour the better performance would out weigh the extra weight.

You could have it bedded, at the least, it wouldn't hurt anything and I think just about, if not, all factory rifles would benefit from a good bedding job.

Maybe have the crown looked at.

If you like it and want to keep it, send it to one of the many excellent Gunsmiths on this forum and have them put atleast a #5, preferably bigger, contour barrel on it with a good match chamber and it will most likely turn it into a much better and consistent shooting rifle.

JE Custom on this forum is a good Weatherby guy. I would PM/contact him and see if he could help sort out your problems.

I have a 30-378 and its very inconsistant...can anything be done to make it more accurate and repeatable. Thanks

Have you thought about sending it back to Weatherby? I've ran into very few Accumarks that didn't shoot well. Do you load your own ammo, that might be the first place to start. If not, send it back to Weatherby... have them look it over.

the first shot is dead on at 100...then the second shot was dead on at 500...then the third shot was dead on again at 100...the fourth shot never hit the 9x9" gong at 500 then, the the next shot at 100 was like 2" low left

the first shot is dead on at 100...then the second shot was dead on at 500...then the third shot was dead on again at 100...the fourth shot never hit the 9x9" gong at 500 then, the the next shot at 100 was like 2" low left

Check your rings and mount first.

436 makes a VERY good point as I had a lot of trouble with the scope moving in the rings. It wasn't until I went to a Near Mfg. base and rings that it stopped.

Stress free bedding, cut a fresh new crown and then adjust that trigger down to 1-2 pounds. What are you using for a scope and mounts? Tell us about your load.

I have had 3 accumark 338-378's all three went under 3/4 inch with RL25 and 300 gr SMK. One of them could repeat .3's Make sure the barrel is fully floated and torque both action screws to 45 inch lbs. This after checking everything to make sure mounts base etc, are tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.