Can a Remington standard long action be used for a 28 Nosler build?

Gone Ballistic

I was digging through some of my safe Queens and found my old 25-06 AI. This rifle is needing a new barrel and I really don't need this caliber in my arsenal anymore as I have other calibers now that I feel are better for what I used it for.
My question is could this action support a 28 Nosler build? Because the ballistics of the 28 are higher than the 7mm Remington Magnum I am thinking I might have to get a Magnum action to make a safe build. Perhaps some of you can advise me if this action would work safely or not. It does appear that the pressures are that much greater for the 28 Nosler vs 25-06AI. I believe the pressures of the 28 Nosler match the 7mmRM @ 65K lbs. and the pressure maximum of rounds I reloaded for my 25-06AI were around 58K lbs. To me this makes me question if this action is strong enough for the build. If not then I might stay with the 25 or change to a 6.5X.284. Because I have a 6.5PRC I am just duplicating what I own if I do it, however.
Maybe you can suggest something else that might make me a more appealing build. Because I have a Macmillan stock and a Jewel trigger I want to be able to retrofit the stock as well.

Yes, it will work. You will need to open the bolt, or just purchase one from PTG. You will also need to put in a Wyatts box for more cartridge room for the longer coal. You might also consider the 28 SM which is equal in performance only no rebated rim.
shermanwildcatcartridges. com
IMG_20191118_124736971.jpg

Thanks! I have a Wyatt's box left over from my 300RUM build that might work. I'm not sure what the difference in OAL measurements are between the magnum 700 action and standard long is, if any. I'll pull the action out and see how it aligns to the box.
Thanks again and KUDOS to you for your reply!

The 700 is more than strong enough for the 28. Use the wyatt Mbe 3 box and it will be good. Small amount of metal will have to come off receiver by the middle screw hole. You will have to open your rails slightly also since your rifle started as a standard 06 type. Plus the bolt face like previously mentioned.
Shep

Remington only makes two action lengths, short and long. There is no difference in length between a Remington magnum long action and a standard long action. Only difference is in the bolt face and sometimes feed rails (depending on the cartridge). Your 25-06 action will work perfectly with the previously mentioned modifications. There are only a few true magnum length actions still out there. CZ, Weatherby Mk V, Brno, several customs as well as some high end offerings if you're in that bracket such as Rigby.

As said above, your
Thanks! I have a Wyatt's box left over from my 300RUM build that might work. I'm not sure what the difference in OAL measurements are between the magnum 700 action and standard long is, if any. I'll pull the action out and see how it aligns to the box.
Thanks again and KUDOS to you for your reply!
Along with your bolt face needing to be opened up, your feed lips will probably need some modifications. Wyatt's makes two different lengths of center feed mag boxes to work with bdl bottom metal. I recently put one in my stw. I really like that center feed box.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.