Can a plastic/fiberglass stock be repaired at home?

Snake Plysken1

Had my 700 BDL action/barrel off from the stock for maintenance and noticed a slight crack in the forward part of the stock's channel, where the forward bolt anchors the action to the stock. Can that be repaired with a two part epoxy base, such as JB Weld? The crack has not split all the way thru. It is for my 30-06, hunting rifle.

Never bought a stock before...if I had to trash the original one, any ideas on where to look for a replacement stock, besides Cabela's?
Thanks, folks, and Happy New Year!

It might be repairable, but those stocks are usually pretty lousy to begin with. I know they can be roughed up and bedded using JB Weld, but honestly I would use it as an excuse to upgrade.

As to where to buy one, check out MidwayUSA (https://www.midwayusa.com/long-action/br?cid=21505), Stocky's (https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...hinged-floorplate/factory-sporter-barrel.html), or Boyds (https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=3U&Model=182&Action=10).

If you check out the websites, you will find stocks available at most any price point, depending on what features you are looking for. I have used stocks with the aluminum bedding block and have been very satisfied even though I haven't skim bedded them.

It might be repairable, but those stocks are usually pretty lousy to begin with. I know they can be roughed up and bedded using JB Weld, but honestly I would use it as an excuse to upgrade.

As to where to buy one, check out MidwayUSA (https://www.midwayusa.com/long-action/br?cid=21505), Stocky's (https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...hinged-floorplate/factory-sporter-barrel.html), or Boyds (https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=3U&Model=182&Action=10).

If you check out the websites, you will find stocks available at most any price point, depending on what features you are looking for. I have used stocks with the aluminum bedding block and have been very satisfied even though I haven't skim bedded them.

I agree.

Ive bought quite a few stocks from stockystocks, and have always been pleased. Other then that, just search through the classifieds.

Had my 700 BDL action/barrel off from the stock for maintenance and noticed a slight crack in the forward part of the stock's channel, where the forward bolt anchors the action to the stock. Can that be repaired with a two part epoxy base, such as JB Weld? The crack has not split all the way thru. It is for my 30-06, hunting rifle.

Never bought a stock before...if I had to trash the original one, any ideas on where to look for a replacement stock, besides Cabela's?
Thanks, folks, and Happy New Year!

Honestly, I know this isn't what you are going to want to hear, but... If it is the cheap tupperware black plastic factory Rem stocks from the old ADL/BDL rifles, then I suggest chunking it in the garbage, and getting your rifle something much better.

Here's a couple of very affordable options.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...ck-remington-700-new-spider-web-finishes.html

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...wsm-weatherby-mk-v-with-aluminum-bedding.html

Canadian, Mudd, and Catamount- thanks big bunches for the links to get me going. I wish these sites allowed for a closer zoom, as I want to see if there is some form of texture or rubber on the fore ends and the grips. My synthetic stock gets slippery during rainy weather hunts, and looking back about 6 years ago elk hunting my rifle slipped/ flew out of my hand and crashed down on some black ice. That's probably when it cracked, cause I've never been able to pull the groups on my reloads since then, and always wondered why.
I wish I could find a stock that like on my son's 7mm-08, with rubber inserts at the fore end and grip. That thing is so very light, too. Nowadays, light for me is good. This '06 is my 27 year old bread and butter hunting rifle. It's always been on the heavy side, though.

I have an HS-Precision stock on my Remington 700 and a Hogue full-bed stock on my Savage 11. I haven't had any issue with grip on either, especially the Hogue. Both have more grip than the plastic stocks the rifles came with.

1, the Stockys stock suggested by Mudd for $199 is a steal. You might notice the textured finishes offered. Doubt this sale price will last long. Your thread title mentions plastic/fiberglass, epoxy will crack off the plastic, but not fiberglass. Good luck

I could build you a car with some Styrofoam and fiberglass but it would probably be smarter just to buy a real stock. Any stock can be "FIXED" or even completely changed into something else by someone who can do that kind of work but unless you make $1 an hr at your real job its probably better and more cost effective to just buy one.

I bought a 700 SS 338 WM in 1993 or 4. It kicked reasonable to me. It was sort of slick when wet moose hunting. I was about ready to put some rubbery step grip on the forearm and grip.
About 10 years ago I bought a H&S Precision stock with Alumnium bedding bar.
It seems to have taken half the kick out of this gun. I think the Tupperware stock was flexing and let it getting a running lick at my shoulder. And is easier to hold on to the rifle with the new stock too.

All right then, thanks a bunch fellas for all the awesome suggestions and tips in general. I've been on stocky's site, basically schooling myself on all the stock "lingo", along with all year ins and outs. Never realized so much went into a stock! Definitely going to go with the aluminum insert blocks. I'm caught between a tactical look or just keeping it simple as a shorter look, as mine originally came. I figured, too, that it would probably look silly to get a tactical type, and not invest in a changeover from hinged floor plate to detachable mag. In most all the pics of cool, tactical rifles I've seen on LRH, I've never seen a rifle outfitted with an aftermarket tactical stock with the hinged floor plate in place.
Thanks, again. Will be placing an order as soon as I can decide on a color.
Oh, lastly, any downsides to those ultra light stocks? Does a 1.5 or so pound difference between an ultra light and a regular stock make a big difference in carry, all day out in the woods? Never owned an ultra light

All right then, thanks a bunch fellas for all the awesome suggestions and tips in general. I've been on stocky's site, basically schooling myself on all the stock "lingo", along with all year ins and outs. Never realized so much went into a stock! Definitely going to go with the aluminum insert blocks. I'm caught between a tactical look or just keeping it simple as a shorter look, as mine originally came. I figured, too, that it would probably look silly to get a tactical type, and not invest in a changeover from hinged floor plate to detachable mag. In most all the pics of cool, tactical rifles I've seen on LRH, I've never seen a rifle outfitted with an aftermarket tactical stock with the hinged floor plate in place.
Oh, lastly, any downsides to those ultra light stocks? Does a 1.5 or so pound difference between an ultra light and a regular stock make a big difference in carry, all day out in the woods? Never owned an ultra light

1, the lighter the rifle, the heavier the recoil. 30-06 isn't that heavy of recoil. Get the style YOU like and the finish you like. Some stock colors are not in inventory and you may need to wait a while. The longest I've waited was 5 months, but I ordered well ahead on hunting season and knew there would be a wait time. Stockys as well as others have toll-free numbers so you can talk to a tech one on one. Good luck and repost a pic when you get it together.

I don't care for detachable mags on long-action centerfire bolt-action rifles... All of mine are hinged footplates. But that's just personal preference. One of the main reason is because detachable mags are usually shorter than your factory 700 BDL internal magazine is. Which limits your cartridge overall length. So in some cases, you can't seat the bullets near the lands, and with longer heavy high BC bullets this can cause accuracy issues.

Also, yes, get a stock that has a full-length aluminum bed block.

Went ahead and pulled the plug and got the Magpul Hunter700LA in flat earth. Should be in between the 6th and 11th. Read a ton of reviews, and majority of them seemed positive.

My factory stock was 2.25 lbs., and the Magpul is around there, also. Hopefully I did well, in my decision.
Stocky's, is an awesome place, with a ton of stocks. Thank you for the link there, as I will shop there in the future for future rifles. I opted to almost go with the Magpul Hunter on Midway from the link, but found it on amazon for a few bucks cheaper, with for sure availability. Midway had too many mixed availability's, along with a lot of back orders.

Thanks, everyone, for talking me out of the JB Weld job, LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.