can a loaded shell be resized?

budlight

I full length resized and loaded on a friends dillion 650. So I ended up with a 1500+ loads that the bolt can't close. It was not over cammed to actually full length resize. It appears the shoulder or even the mid case is just a few 10 thousants of an inch off.

Somebody told me about redding bushed dies and setting it up with cases that fit and then resize these loaded rounds

there is no clearance above the bushing for a bullet on a Redding bushing die as there is a threaded plug that holds the bushing in place.

I would tear a couple apart FIRST and figure out exactly what is the problem.

Right now you do not know for sure what the problem is.

You could have the bullet seated too long also as a possibility.

You can size them with a Redding body die without issue.

Thanks, I should have expounded more in my post. It is not a seating depth problem. All these loads will cycle through a 5.56 nato, but they do not fit in my .223 Wylde or my 223 match barrels AR 15 platforms.

My other choice is a 5.56 reamer and rechamber my Wylde 20 inch

sounds like you will be busy tearing ammo down... I just had to do that on about 300 7stw rounds... they would chamber but were tight enough that accuracy was suffering...

do it safely and yank the bullets/charge first.

Can you get a new face after resizing a loaded round ends badly?

Come on, man. Explain to me how bumping the shoulder on a loaded round will spontaneously ignite powder to blow your face off. If you can give me a reasonable explanation, I'm all ears.

Can you spell "joking"? Seriously, though, when we resize a case, we are reshaping the body and the neck to some extent. If you pull the bushing you normally use and install one big enough to accommodate the bullet being in the neck, you could conceivably push the unsupported portion of the neck/shoulder junction around enough to cause a different fit problem from the one you presently have. You can try any method you want, it's your situation. I'm just saying I'd tear 'em down and do it right.

You can size them with a Redding body die without issue.
This. I did the same with my .300 WSM after rebarreling it. All worked out well, but as a caveat, it was a mildish load to begin with. Accuracy remained the same and I only gained a few FPS doing it. I would say be sure to chrono the loads on a shot or 3 to ensure they are within the safe limits.

Edit to add: After reading the whole thread (/blush), be sure to check that the bullet isn't stopping the bolts progress from hitting the lands. I am not entirely sure, but a Wylde may not have quite the free bore as a Nato chamber. It's something to consider, but also easy to spot. Clean up a round and attempt to chamber it. If you see rifling marks on the bullet, they are too long. If not, the cases are most likely too long at the shoulder. Oh, also, check neck lengths. My .338 can take a lot longer brass than most Savage .338's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.