Can 27 Nosler brass be formed from the 28 or 30

purpledragon

Can this be done without crushing the case to form the longer neck needed
for the 27. I ask as one of the boys wants to do a 27 Nosler, but ya can't find the cases...... Thanks for checking out my post....

It often is available at Shooters Pro Shop. You can neck down 30 Nosler to 27 Nosler. 28 Nosler has a longer base to Datam line and would be very difficult to push the shoulder back. Understand that the SAMMI 27 Nosler has no free bore. I have a JGS reamer that is throated for the 170 Bergers.

Thank you so much for the info. The boy wants to do the 27 so bad...lol. He already ordered a bbl. I said son did ya check on components? He started lookin and can't find brass, so he goes in panic mode...lol(you know youngins). So I figured I'd try and improvise to help him out....Again, thank ya much,Ken

the only issue with 30 nosler brass is your neck will end up about .030 short not a huge problem, but you have to have a good cleaning regiment to avoid the carbon ring that could form on the neck causing pressure issues. using 28 nosler brass will definitely more difficult but can be done with quality lube and patience

If you use 30 Nosler brass, the shoulder will have to fireformed forward (or hydroformed). As mentioned above, the case is shorter as well.

If you use 30 Nosler brass, the shoulder will have to fireformed forward (or hydroformed). As mentioned above, the case is shorter as well.
actually, the datum measurement on the 27 is .006 shorter than the 30. they won't need any special forming of the shoulder