Can 223 (not 5.56) ammo have a military crimped primer?

engineer40

Hey everyone.

I just started reloading for my AR. I heard that Norma brass was good consistent quality so I actually purchased some 223 Norma ammo so I could plan to reuse the brass.

I've heard of primer pockets having a "military crimp". I had never ran across it myself and I just assumed they must be on Nato ammo.

Well I actually went to reload my once fired Norma brass this weekend and noticed this when I tried to put in new primers:

IMG_20150607_113348_773.jpg

So a couple questions for you guys with more experience than myself...

Is this a "military crimp" primer pocket?

Nowhere on the ammo package or the details on the product website does it state this brass has crimped primer pockets. How can I avoid this in the future?

Thanks!

You are not the first to run into this. I have had this problem before. If I remember i even had it with some of the same kind of brass. Don't think the crimp is "military" exclusive. If you want the best brass lapua, not sure if they make 223. Ive also had great luck with pmc brass. Very solid and give me good results. Pm me if you would like to try some. I buy pmc for my plinking ammo and run way to much through my tac-con trigger or slide fire.

I use Lapua which is excellent brass that does not have a crimp. Lots of 223 brass and cartridges are crimped. They can be easily removed with a small primer crimp remover.

You are not the first to run into this. I have had this problem before. If I remember i even had it with some of the same kind of brass. Don't think the crimp is "military" exclusive. If you want the best brass lapua, not sure if they make 223. Ive also had great luck with pmc brass. Very solid and give me good results. Pm me if you would like to try some. I buy pmc for my plinking ammo and run way to much through my tac-con trigger or slide fire.

Yeah I like Lapua for sure. I have some for my 30-06 and almost bought some for my AR in 223, but I had all of this once fired Norma brass which was also highly regarded.

I did just pick out about 50 PMC brass out of my "box of brass to sort through later" box. Thanks for the offer!

I still need to PM you about a day and time to check out your scopes also... Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.