Camping near elk

I had elk hit a spring next to my camp almost every night last year during archery season in Colorado. And by next to my camp I mean like 40 yards.

If it's the only spring in the area I can see that... cover of darkness always seems to make them much more comfortable and throw caution to the wind.

camp close to the elk....last time I was out we had one dang near walk through our camp in the middle of the night letting out a locator bugle every fifty or so yards...and he was close....I was waiting for him to step on the tent...he never spookedor acted like he was scared

Elk to weird things and travel A LOT... but other hunter do really weird and dumb things... find where everyone is hunting and don't go there... they will drive the elk out fast

camp close to the elk....last time I was out we had one dang near walk through our camp in the middle of the night letting out a locator bugle every fifty or so yards...and he was close....I was waiting for him to step on the tent...he never spookedor acted like he was scared
Elk in the rut are nothing like elk out of the rut.

Hunting elk for 60 years, a few things I've learned. Most of that time hunting Roosevelt's on the coast. They are born and die probably within a 5 mile area. Last 20 years, bro and I bought a ranch in E OR, and started hunting RM elk. Had to learn elk hunting all over again. RM are more like caribou. They can move 20 miles overnight. A thing that works on both is know where they are going to go when chased, and be there to intercept them. Once you spook a big bull, you won't see him again, till next season. We built a small hunting cabin in a saddle, 30 yds from a 4 way elk crossing, thinking we could shoot them out the window in our old age. Big mistake. Elk no longer use that crossing, and bypass by a wide margin. They will come down to eat on a haystack under your window in civilization, but build a cabin in THEIR territory...and they're outa' there.

I have asked a lot of people this same question. I got varying answers. I plan on spiking out if I see the bull I want on my next elk hunt. The country is big and rough so coming all they way back out to camp daily will be tough and time consuming. If I can hang out close until I can seal the deal I hope to have an advantage over people going in and out every day. Maybe I am wrong but I am going to give it a try.

Scent is the biggest issue in my mind. My brother and myself camped 240yds from a couple bedded cows. Next morning shot a bull that had joined them.

Last edited:
I agree alot has to do with pressure in the general area. I've hunted the same unit 3 years in a row 5-6 miles in and every year the elk have literally walked right into camp in the middle of the night. Bulls bugling and cows chirping. 100% success on all of our tags. I don't think it bothers the elk all that much in the middle of the night. Some places might be difficult to get away from the elk if you are in the right area. On a side note, i would do whatever i could to not be in the highest concentrated area. Sleeping in the mountains and listening to the elk talk is definitely one of the best experiences I've had while in the woods!

I think this depends a lot on the terrain, water availability, and your knowledge of how animals use the area. If you can stay out of nose/eye/ear shot at 1/2 mile, go for it. If you don't know the country as well, be conservative and give them a little more buffer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.