Camping Help Unit 32 Wyoming

DonnaCam

Guys,
My daughter and I did not know if we would get up to Wyoming on opening day until a couple of days ago because of some scheduling conflicts. Because of a soccer game schedule change, we will be arriving in the area around Bates Creek Cattle Co. after dark. We will be coming up Hwy 487. Does anyone know if there is dispersed camping or where we could just pull off to get some shut eye? We are not pitching a tent, and will be arriving after dark. I know about the campground at Prior Flats, but am assuming that it will be full since it will probably be around 8:30-9pm that we get up there. Thanks for any hints or info...
Donna

You could camp at Alcova Reservoir. A little further up the road but might be worth it. I am heading up to 32 in 2 weeks. Could you tell me how the hunt goes when you get back. Curious how the hunting will be this year.

Thanks,

Jason

You can camp anywhere you want on BLM ground which is just about anywhere up there. I'd find a flat spot off the highway on top of Shirley Rim and come into 32 the next morning.

Is it dispersed camping? Guess what I really want to know is if you can camp anywhere on BLM land, so that if I see a BLM sign and a road, I can just pull in and park somewhere. Thanks for the recommendation.

We will let you know what we see. We are newbs at speed goats, so trying to be optimistic for my 15 yr old daughter! I used to whitetail hunt down south, and have waited a long time for my oldest to show an interest in hunting...fingers crossed!

Donna

You can camp on any BLM land that is not part of an HMA area or privet with permition. Muddy mt HMA covers some of 32? No capming on state land of coarse.
That being said there is a lot of BLM on 402 that runs parralel to 487. Just came through that area yesterday and saw a lot more goats on the south end of 32 east of 487 than I did on the north if that helps? have not spent much time west of 487 in that area so cant help much there.

BLM maps(Shirly basin and Casper) and a Wy public land chip for your GPS will make finding your way around a lot easier! Lots of public land in 32....specialy if you have an HMA permit.
Good luck and have fun!!

Anyone know what the weather will be like in 32 by Oct 7th? First trip to Wyoming with my 6 yr old son. Just looking to have fun and let him hike around a bit with me. He has already been introduced to hunting and likes it, and he is a trooper for sure. I have studied maps and GPS info, anyone have a good area for me to take my son? I am leaning towards the southern part of 32, and I have an HMA permission slip for 32.

You can camp on any BLM land that is not part of an HMA area or privet with permition.

That would be wrong. You can camp on any piece of BLM ground you want as long as you legally accessed it. The G&F and landowner lessee's have no authority over BLM lands that are legally accessible. You see a piece of BLM ground adjacent to the highway or a public road, you can camp there irregardless of whether its in an HMA or not...

Anyone know what the weather will be like in 32 by Oct 7th?

I woke up to 23º Wensday morning and it hit 87º yesterday, By the 7th of October we could have a blizzard or it could be in the 90s??
Expect it to be cool to cold at night warming up during the day. Rain or snow will make road travel difficult at best and walking will be a real chore...It can dry out fast though so be a little patient
If its sunny and warm=look on the flats and around water, if it cloudy and cool look on the backside of the hills and small rivines.
You and your son should have a blast in area 32, lots of goats and wide open country. If all else fails look around the Bates creek resivior. Good luck and have fun huntin with your son!

Originally Posted by MachV
You can camp on any BLM land that is not part of an HMA area or privet with permition.

You can camp on any piece of BLM ground you want as long as you legally accessed it. The G&F and landowner lessee's have no authority over BLM lands that are . You see a piece of BLM ground adjacent to the highway or a public road, you can camp there irregardless of whether its in an HMA or not...

I stand corrected, legally accessible can be an issue sometimes but not if you get to BLM from a public road!

Thanks for the advice, all. We ended up camping at the city park in Medicine Bow (restroom with running water + free) one night, and on BLM next night. Saw lots of goats. Had six spot and stalks, three successful stalks where we outsmarted them. Two of those stalks, daughter could not get situated quickly enough to take her shot, and one stalk was absolutely perfect, except we both missed. We were shooting downhill about -18 degrees at 250 yards. Had not practiced that shot. We followed what our rangefinder told us to do based on ballistics, but missed. We still were stoked because we had beat them at their game so badly, and correctly anticipated their movements. Daughter was frustrated because she missed, but now is determined to go back and do it better next time. Met an extremely nice game warden who was very encouraging, and will probably hunt in his unit next year, but unit 32 was great. Just sounded like WW III broke out at sunrise on Sunday with lots of gunfire and dirt flying on the roads. Our first stalk that we blew, we were stalking a group of about 25. We unexpectedly were caught exposed transitioning from one hill to another and the goats ran up the hill toward a ridge. On the ridgeline were three guys with guns. They harvested four goats in rapid succession.... We didn't even get a thanks for running them up the hill into their deadly sniper zone! We are hooked on goats now-what a rush! But now we want new rifles with bigger scopes and bipods, and did I mention a new F250 4x4? Our Nissan Pathfinder wheel base was not quite wide enough for the big boy dirt roads! But we would settle for oversize tires and a 3" lift!

Its Wyoming for crying out loud, just pick a spot on gooberment land

antelope%20camp.jpg

We did pick a spot on "gooberment land" the second night. We arrived up there in the dark without a spotlight. Little hard looking for landmarks in pitch black without having ever been there before... now that I have been there and know lay of land a little better, I don't need any advice on where to camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.