Camp food ideas?

Rice,,, small cans of your likings of sea food,,, soy-sauce,,, vegetables you like,,, onions,,, garlic,,, and the real ground pepper... A human can survive off a small portion of this every day...

The real Oats and add fruit,,, don't forget to add brown sugar and cinnamon,,, powdered milk then add hot water to get the mix just right...

All the above takes up very little room and weighs next to nothing...

Frying-pan Pita bread toasted,,, add real butter,,, jam and peanut-butter,,, roll up and stuff into zip-lock bag for the trail lunch...

Lots of protein and high on cabs,,, the sea food of tuna or salmon have the real fats that your body needs...

Cheers from the North

Looks like you got it covered. I freeze mine in either vacuum seal bags or good zip locks makes for great storage in coolers .

I have all my meals cooked and vacuum sealed for a 10 day backpack hunt.

Breakfast is mostly oatmeal and coffee, backed up midmorning by sausage, egg and cheese biscuits.

Lunch is PBJ and ham sandwiches or Italian sausage in a tortilla. Mid afternoon kick starter is a fried pie or candy bar.

Supper is boneless bbq ribs, tamales & enchiladas, beef stew, chicken dressing, pork chops, and a steak or two. All these are vacuum packed and frozen. Extras are condiments, rice, dried potatoe packets, hot chocolate, dried fruit, Ramen and a few Mountain House meals.

Last meal on the mountain is, I hope, sauteed tenders in butter & garlic.

If you like mashed taters buy the powdered n flavored ones n add water very tasty and easy.

Bagels make great sandwiches that are crush resistant. I have used them for kayaking trips where everything gets stuffed behind the seat, and they survive. Great to put in pack for lunch.

Pre-scramble eggs and put in containers or zip locks. No worries about breaking eggs.

Pre-cook a roast or small Turkey.

00, I freeze egg and bacon or chorizo breakfast burritos wrapped in wax paper then vacuum sealed. When I get up, I toss one in a pan of hot water to heat and eat. These stoke the fire till lunch and a lot better than a cold granola bar.

You forgot the bachelor standby of Top Ramen and Cambell soup! Seriously I've ate a lot of top ramen for breakfast when camping over the years, just crush it, pour in a cup, add boiling water, seasoning and stir. Quick, easy and sticks with you fairly good. Of course eggs and fresh backstrap steak don't take too long to cook and make a tasty breakfast also!

Not sure where you're coming from, but elk are in a high and dry environment. Most people are not in shape to wander the mountains all day long, nor the dry air. You will need lots of liquids and carbs. Stews and soups with plenty of potatos or pasta will perk you up at the end of the day.

Don't forget the aspirin for those altitude headaches. Trail mix with plenty of M & Ms will keep you going during the day.

Take at least 1/2 again as much food as you think you will eat. Better to have too much, than not enough.

If you like mashed taters buy the powdered n flavored ones n add water very tasty and easy.

My only question to that is why if you don't have to?

I can see many foods that would be worth having in your kit in a survival sense like dried/dehydrated meals, tinned foods etc but if your just out camping with anything available to you then imo fresh is best just like at home!

Chiorizo sausage thin sliced, cooked off a little at home and sealed in a vac-seal bag. A jar of stir-through pasta sauce and some pasta is quick and easy to prepare, very tasty and easy to clean up.

Shredded BBQ chicken, a Rogan Josh sauce pack and one of those pre-cooked rice packets. Heat chicken and sauce, add a little water and throw the rice in and after about 10 minutes you have a tasty meal.

My personal favourite is Venison Rendang. A dish from Singapore for Asian Buffalo meat (tough meat), the Rendang is a slow-cook meal I prepare at home from raw ingredients and put into vac-seal bags once done. Cooking at camp is dead simple, get water boiling in a pot put the vacseal Rendang in and pop the pre-cooked rice in on top. The two heat up quickly and once ready open the rice packet and put in bowls, then open the Rendang and pour onto the rice. The aromatics are awesome and it is a hearty meal which heats you up before getting into the bed.

Have also been known to do Nachos with rabbit or venison mince, Venison based Chilli, Green curries, Satay and Sechuan Venison on Hokkien Noodles (spicy).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts