Camo

Most jackets and bibs that are made for hunting should fit the bill. I think that what you are looking for is just getting used less and less with all of the newer materials out there. The days of the heavy, bulky bibs and jackets that make you feel like the Michelin Man have kind of gone away. What has replaced them is much lighter and thinner gear that keeps you just as warm. As far as brands go, there are a lot of options out there. Personally, I have had a lot of success with Under Armours gear. It is not near as expensive as Sitka and others (especially when you have an Under Armour outlet near your house :)) and works great. Like I say, tons of options out there, but that is one of many that are making great gear.

In my opinion, the difference between clothing needed for hunting on the move vs sitting motionless for hours is so different that I just can't see it working. The heater body suit is filling a niche since you dress for the walk in and just pack in the suit and then get into it once in position when you have cooled off.

The only alternative would be a layer that is actively heated (there are some with built in resistive heaters). The trouble with that is carrying the power and the fact that if you have an equipment malfunction combined with worse that expected weather one might get into a bit of a survival type situation. On the other hand, something like the heater body suit improves you chances pretty drastically in any survival type situation.

The only catch with all of this is the cost. One can build a pretty good blind for the sort of money one is spending on fancy clothing, that to me would hardly be justified if you are then sitting on your butt for hours. Even a cloth blind with a little propane heater is not much money and very comfortable. I do appreciate that fact that setting up any kind of blind takes some time and effort and most times you wouldn't have it in a different location every day.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.